Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I must give "66coupe inKC" tons of thanks for walking me through this latest project of "overhaulin" my C4. Two weeks ago I decided it was time to drop the tranny for it would not shift from 2nd to 3rd when cold even after I replaced the modulator, added TransX, etc. With a big work load at work + Xmas responsibilities it took me two weeks to rip it apart, clean, replace seals,etc and finally today was the chosen day for install.

9 hours later I was pouring oil down the dipstick tube. Few minutes later I took it out on it's maiden voyage. Shifted quickly from 1st to 2nd and then to third. While having it apart I did as what "66coupe inKC" did and did a semi shiftkit modification with thanks from Burly4x4 stage 2 shift mod Turned out pretty cool.

I enjoyed the test drive so much I was home late for dinner. SWMBO knew the importance of this test drive and kept a smile to her face (gotta love her for that).

Again,
Eric (66coupe inKC) I owe you big time. You pushed me along to the finish and I am grateful.

Craig

PS-Eric just had his 3rd child earlier this week. A big congrats is in order.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Gotta love the ever-simple C4 . I imagine the no 2-3 shift was from bad seals in the clutch with burnt up clutch plates .

IIRC the Band also (not reverse band) does 2-3 shift work and they have been known to bust too .
So , inquiring minds want to know . What was busted ? :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Glad to hear you got that thing back in action Craig. I was sorry to hear that you had that setback so soon after getting it roadworthy. But it's pretty cool that you can now say you rebuilt your transmission, that's gotta count for another notch on your belt...or whatever.

Nice work :highfive:

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lemondrop,
The intermediate band was not broken, though the seals on both clutch assemblies were very hard. Maybe something else was broken but since this was my first and it all looked pretty Greek to me when I was tearing it apart I might have missed an obvious worn out item.

Eric (EJD68),
Yes at first I told myself I was crazy for this attempt but at worst case if I really screwed things up I have a couple extra C4's stored in my warehouse. I chose with lots of influence by "66coup inKC" to rebuild the '74 C4 that was already in the car because is has a beefier input shaft. Besides since it was coming out and would be in my way, why not just rebuild it instead of going to get one of my other ones to rebuild and then having to discard this one.

Yes to say that I've rebuilt an automatic tranny is not to shabby. Maybe it work because at the last minute before I started dumping the oil in, I discarded the steel oil pan and installed a Trick Flow Alum deep dish pan including a deeper filter & drain plug.

Now onto a new set of Torq Thrust D's and Tires.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Craig,

Glad I could help, and congrats on a job well done! Now, not to say that I've confirmed this, but I'm pretty sure that with the quick 1-2 shift, you should be able to chirp the tires during the shift. Not that I've tried it personally - I mean, that's what I've heard... ;)

E

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm going to be attempting to do the trans on my '67 after the holidays. What all did you replace? Did you buy a kit that had all the parts in it? I check out the Haynes book on Ford automatic trannys from the library and they mention a few special tools. What kind of special tools did you use? or improvise.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike,
I got a Transtar deluxe kit from my favorite local supplier. Another good source is:
bulkpart.com

I replaced as much as I could for I didn't want to have to tear back into it. Both bands and all clutch and steel discs as well as the servo (forgot which one) that has it's seal intergrated. Most kits will have almost everything but you need to do so careful studying first.

The only thing I remembered regarding special tools was the spring compressor during the clutch overall. As the book also recommended I just used a couple big C clamps.

The best word of advice I got was from 66coupe_inKC who told me that once the valve body was removed, to mount the tranny on an engine stand (if you have one lying around) via 4 of the tranny oilpan bolt holes. Doing this made the installation of both clutch assemblies much easier as well as when you start removing and reinstalling the tail end of the tranny.

Take tons of pics during disassembly so you have something to reference to.

Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts