Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a torque wrench and am wondering what are some good options “for the money?” I don’t want a piece of junk, but I’m not a professional mechanic using it all day either… suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
I picked up a couple Craftsman in various drive sizes a few years back and so far they have performed good.

Also, it's generally a good idea to set them back to 0 torque when not in use.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Can't advise on what to buy, but can DEFINITELY advise on what NOT to buy. Stay away from the cheapies (Harbor Freight etc) as you said in your initial post. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I bought a cheapie HF torque wrench a while back. I've never had the confidence to use it. I'm still using my old fashioned Craftsman. Spend a $100 and get something decent.

·
Registered
‘69 Cougar convertible resto mod
141 Posts
I’ve been happy with my SKF and my Kobalt 1/2” torque wrenches. My Craftsman’s both failed. I also bought a 3/8” Ikon from HF and it’s been solid.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My Snap On dial type is 40 some odd years old
!/2 inch drive and has a nice plastic case
True it cost about 175 in 1980 dollars
However I have never even had to get it recalibrated
Dial types are accurate to within 5 percent
Click type are accurate to within 10 percent
I agree Tekton is a reasonable alternative for way less dough
I have several Tekton ratchets in my box and like them enough to keep buying them

·
Registered
845 Posts
The “Lexivon” brand available on Amazon seem to be good quality for the price. They come with a hand written calibration card, which I think is a good sign that they put a little more care and thought into them. The fit and finish is better than others I’ve had. After I got a 3/8” drive, I decided to get the 1/2” and a 1/4 in/lb version as well. I have a digital luggage scale that I periodically use to check the calibration…not a tough thing to do, and a good idea to check a tool like that at any price, since they can all fall out of adjustment.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also, it's generally a good idea to set them back to 0 torque when not in use.
I sell tools to aircraft engineers, one thing i definitely recommend is unwinding the torque wrench in storage... else you may as well just use a ratchet and guess.
Supplied some to the defence force and they left one wound right up for 2 weeks and it was completely out of calibration.

The best torque wrench in the market in my opinion is made by stahlwille, they use a cam rather then spring. Definitely not cheap though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dial Types do not need to be unwound to maintain accuracy
I still need a 3/8 drive in my box
JeremyC99, Does Stahlwille? make a 3/8 and how much?
I will not buy from Amazon
Demon Rat Bezos is rich enough

·
Registered
102 Posts
They make their torque wrenches with interchangeable spigot ends... so it can be multiple drives.
Im based in Australia so dont have my work computer here to jump on and see the pricing, and its not all on our website unfortunately...
From memory, they are slightly more expensive then snap-on

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
As an A&P (aviation mech) as well as a hobbiest, I rely on correct TQ settings - as most all you do. I have had a Snap On unit for many years. About every 10 years I have it calibrated and it has not once been off! Bought a Harbor Freight unit a few years ago after watching a few vids and reading a bunch about their reliability. Couldn’t be happier honestly. Has worked as advertised since new. Now you are thinking, “sure it works, because you cannot tell if it is accurate.” Well, I had both calibrated early this year prepping for my current rebuild going back together…mainly engine was the concern. Both passed with flying colors and did not need any calibration changed.
I am not the cheer leader for HF by any means…in fact, I only buy air tools (sometimes) and misc items like blankets, vices, and gloves there usually!
And yes, dial it back to zero when not in use to relieve tension on the spring. And never use it to remove.
Troy

·
Premium Member
1966 mustang convertible sprint 200, manual steering and brakes
317 Posts
I’ve had good luck with my 15 yr old craftsmen 3/8 and 1/2 drives but have never had them calibrated (so who knows). How would one go about getting their wrenches calibrated. And yes, I always unwind them.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Frankly, I like the old needle type. I figure that so long as the needle is pointing to zero it's within an acceptable range. Others may be more meticulous than I am, but I've never had a failure of a head gasket, for instance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
They make their torque wrenches with interchangeable spigot ends... so it can be multiple drives.
Im based in Australia so dont have my work computer here to jump on and see the pricing, and its not all on our website unfortunately...
From memory, they are slightly more expensive then snap-on
Thanks, I will look for one. I have ten years on my Mustang

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've got an old Craftsmen from Sears late 90s era. If you can find a used one pre import era just keep the spring decompressed when not using and they'll last decades. I wouldn't pay a fortune for one if not using daily. In the late 90s these big burly mechanics loaned them to me and would look me square in the eye and say 'you drop it you buy it'!. One guy was a former repo man for Harleys and into MMA style amateur fighting, so it didn't take me very long to buy my own even though I was dirty poor then.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe 200ci 3.3L 6 cylinder
42 Posts
I need to buy a torque wrench and am wondering what are some good options “for the money?” I don’t want a piece of junk, but I’m not a professional mechanic using it all day either… suggestions?

I bought a $30 one from autozone about a year ago. No complaints and it works well and looks nice. The brand is Duralast I think.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I use a Precsion brand split beam style torque wrench. Worth checking them out. Made in USA

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
139 Posts

I bought mine from Amazon from the company called Tekton and I have not had any issues thus far. I have used it several dozen times on both low and high settings it has been a fantastic product!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts