Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I will opt for a slightly lesser quality "specialty tool" on occasion, if it will end up in the bottom drawer of my tool box after one use. There are other tools that I will not compromise on, my torque wrench being one. I have owned only two 3/8" drive torque wrenches since 1967. Both have been the same model from Snap-On. Not cheap, but well worth the money.
Office supplies Writing implement Writing instrument accessory Font Stationery

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have used many from "antique" Beam style ( very accurate) to my latest Snap On ''beeper". In "MY" experience, the Craftsman wrenches were the worst for maintaining calibration. Snap On (3/8ths) break the wratchet mechanism ( I've had three do it) but the "rotary dial" in very accurate same for the 'beeper".

Reactions: manicmechanic007

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Have a thirty year old Mac 1/2" torque wrench and a CDI 3/8" that I bought from Amazon about five years ago. The CDI was $140 at the time, well worth a top quality American made tool that'll last me a lifetime. I've had it checked every year and holds calibration beautifully.

Things I learned to not go cheap on....

Beer
Tires
Torque wrenches

·
Super Moderator
11,390 Posts
I certainly miss the REAL Craftsman line, as a teenager, that's the line I grew up with,

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for all the replies, live this forum! One more follow up question: is a flex head worth the extra money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Agreed. I still have my first set of craftsman socket wrenches…

As do I. they were the first thing I bought at my first real duty station as an E1 in the Air Force.
plan to give to my son as my old ass eyes need the bigger numbers on them now 😂
G c

·
I won a special award
8,116 Posts
Where is everyone going to get their torque wrenches checked out for calibration? I've never known anyplace to offer that service.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Where is everyone going to get their torque wrenches checked out for calibration? I've never known anyplace to offer that service.
Snap-On will calibrate any of their torque wrenches.

·
I won a special award
8,116 Posts
Snap-On will calibrate any of their torque wrenches.
That's great if you have a Snap-On torque wrench, but not all of us do. Anyone know where else to go?

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe, 289, T5
199 Posts
15 year A&P mechanic here also, all of my torque wrench’s are CDI they are or used to be made by Snap On and the price is very reasonable. They have passed calibration every year.

I don't personal own one of the CDI wrenches, but a bunch of guys at work bought them and the have passed the 6 month calibration requirements without issue for at least 2 or more years. Probably a good product.

Personally, I'll pay the extra money and stay with snap on. It's a longterm investment in my opinion.

I'm in commercial aviation BTW. We have more stringent requirements than the G.A. guys.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes, old Craftsman are good. I have most of my sockets from the 1980's. They are hard chromed. Dull, but never flake. The few replacements and later sockets I have bought are chipping and flaking, indicating decorative chrome. However, buying a used torque wrench is suspect at best unless you know where it came from.

I have an older Craftsman needle wrench (one of my favorites when I need to "sneak up" on a torque). I have a probably 80's craftsman "clicker" which is good. I also have an 18" Armstrong which is pretty good, but it's an import and we'll see. I don't send mine out, but compare them once in a while and they are all close on lug nuts.

Jason

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, live this forum! One more follow up question: is a flex head worth the extra money?

My Snap On is, but honestly I do not believe that it has ever been ”needed.”
Troy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Precision Instruments. USA made quality one of two US manufacturers left of torque wrenches. I have one. They used to build for all the tool trucks Snap on, Mac tools etc. National Tool Warehouse is where I got mine. Cheap out on wrenches and sockets, NOT TORQUE WRENCHES. I thing mine was about $130 or so a while back.

Reactions: c6fastback

·
Registered
29 Posts
21 - 40 of 60 Posts