Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
‘66 coupe is in paint and body stage now and one of my headlight doors is cracked, and neither really fits very well... what’s the best source for reproduction headlight doors that might have a chance of fitting? I usually go to NPD for sheet metal, but their site even says the ones they have aren’t that great and will take some work to fit. Any suggestions? Am I better off buying used original Ford pieces on eBay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,489 Posts
I've had great success bending them back to shape, which is what you'll have to do with any second-hand or repro door anyway. Up to a point, even the cracked one would be preferable, depending on the size and location.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I think next time I paint my car (or any other) and I need to dial-in a headlight bucket or door, or a rear quarter extension, I'm going to try some Quik Steel (even though neither is steel) as that stuff is AMAZING on aluminum and pot metal. I believe it would be excellent for a cracked piece and could be used to permanently build up and smooth uneven areas for a better than factory fit. I know it can be quickly mixed, formed, ground, sanded, primed and painted. I believe the package even says it can be welded. It is impressive. And I still believe original is best when available.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
+1 on the Muggyweld. It's melting point is just below the pot metal melting point and makes a great filler and repair material.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I sorted through 6 doors to find the 2 best.
I then spent a lot of time getting them to fit the fender as near perfect as I could get it.
Fitting, filing, bending, lab metal, filing, fitting. Repeat until desired result is obtained. :)
Compared to most bodywork, it went quickly. The results are worth it, though.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Contact Paul at Mustang MD in Castaic. He's just north of LA (up by Magic Mountain) and has them piled high! If you want OE parts, he's the guy to see. Make sure you call first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts