Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 with a 2 barrel carburetor that I want to replace with a new one. I can't see a name on the carburetor, but I think it is an Autolite. Since it has a sticker of some sort on it and looks like it is newer, I think it is not the original. It leaks, the automatic choke doesn't work worth a hoot, and today it started overflowing about 50 miles from home. I finally got it started and made it home, but I kicked it out of gear at every stop so I could keep it revved up so it wouldn't quit. Anyway, I want to put on a brand new carburetor, not a rebuilt, and I don't want to fiddle with the one that is on it. What would be a good carburetor for a simple swap that would take care of the problems I listed. Since I don't have any originality to preserve as far as the carburetor goes, I don't care if it is a Ford/Autolite, Holley or whatever. Other than the non-original carburetor everything else under the hood seems to be stock. Thanks in advance for your help.

Pat

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
If you have the original type ford 2100 on the car, it is a very simple rebuild on that carb. I think you can still swap them out at like autozone or the like for another that is already rebuilt. The float is sticking is why it started pouring gas out. Rebuild kit is only about $15 or so and is so simple to do. It's not a hard job at all. But one already rebuilt will run about $150 or so. Edlebrock makes some very nice carbs that run great right out of the box...good luck.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
There are better performing carbs out there, but there's nothing more reliable than the old 2100. VMFer Hurtle has a nice step-by-step rebuild page for the 2100. It's pretty cheap and quick to rebuild it yourself.

Here's a little trick... if your carb isn't too badly gummed up, you can use Simple Green instead of carb dip. Works just as well on dirt and grease, but non-toxic. If you have lots of varnish, you'll probably still have to do the dip.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I agree with Lman, I put a holley 2bbl 500cfm on a 67 289, and it was a big improvement, you can get an electric choke for it too, instead of messing with the manual like I did. :p

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea of the Holley with the electric choke. As I said in my original post, I want a quick and easy swap with a brand new piece. From what I remember while working at my dad's Shell station when I was a know-it-all teenager, the auto choke on those things were a constant aggravation and I would like to do away with it. Any certain model/part # that I should look for? Where would I get one, any parts house?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts