Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into an aftermarket brake booster for my 66 with a dual master cylinder. I looked at the MPB setup, but it says you have to dent the shock tower to fit it in. Are they all like this?

Can anyone recommend a brake booster and distribution block who has actually got it to fit in a 65-66?

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
There is a couple of aftermarket ones that will work, but the price is up there. My shop recently got a 66 in that has a set up in it that looks to be original production parts from another Ford model ? I was amazed at how nicely it fit. We will be detailing the engine compartment within the next couple of weeks, and I am going to pull the m/c and booster and have my brakes supplier match them up for me so I can find out what it came off originally. Might be a nice find if it's an over the counter part, and easy to install without a whole lot of modifications

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I have one in a `66 vert that fits very nicely.
I believe it`s out of an `88 Mustang with a 2.3 litre
It was part of the plans from a Mustang Steve setup. He has some pretty good info on a lot of the upgrades we regularly perform.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I wish he had more instructions on his site for the upgrade , Id think about doing it if it was explained a little . Im sure if he told you everything you would not need his plans / pin and be willing to spend $15 to get them . The booster on his site looks identical to a late model 4cyl car booster , and he says it's a maverick master cyl in the pics . Im cutting a 83 chassis ( 4 cyl) up and it still has it's working booster on it . I think the 83 also has a factory back-up plate for the booster thats attached to the firewall with spot-welds . I can't remember 100% though ... If that's all the case Id be happy to send him the $15 for the pin + instructions .... heck Id likely be happy getting the plate .
Perhaps he will post something here about it .

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The power brake setup I offer is from a 4 cylinder Mustang or a Fairmont. The plate Isell is welded to the pedal support to properly position the booster and add strength to the firewall. The new pedal pin is relocate on the pedal to change the pedal ratio and make the pedal fit up to the booster. You can fit a great big dual piston master cylinder, even for 4 wheel discs, on the car with about 2" to spare between the shock tower and master cylinder. I have sold over 200 of the setups. When I first started, alot of people sent their pedals and supports to be modified, which I do for $80. But, lately more people are just buying the kits outright for $170 for a modified pedal and support (beadblasted and painted as well). I also get $279 for the complete kit with a rebuilt booster, and that includes shipping. Seems the hot setup lately is everyone wants the cable clutch setup with power brakes and ballbearing clutch pedal shaft all in one kit. Sorry for the blatant advertising, but you guys all need to know there is a really good setup out there that uses FORD parts and fits properly. Heck, alot of my customers remove their FACTORY power brakes and install mine because it works so much better. If you are a welder or know someone who can weld, you can install my system using a junk yard booster for about $50 by ordering the revised pedal pin and booster support bracket and 9 pages of instructions. Hope this answers any questions. feel free to email me if you ever need details. http://www.mustangsteve.com/Booster_top_65discs.JPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve,
Does you complete kit include the master cylinder and distribution block as well? I am retrofitting into 4 wheel drums, so I assume I need a new distribution block.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
No, I do not include a master cylinder or distribution block as there are so many different combinations possible depending on what type brakes you have. On a drum brake car, you can reuse the existing master cylinder if you want, or you can convert to a dual piston type. see the web page www.mustangsteve.com/BRAKES.html for the details

·
Registered
762 Posts
Put the Stainless Steel Dual M/C and booster in the pictured '66..worked great. Cost: around $255 for the M/C booster and $65 for the distribution block. Fit like a glove and got the parts from www.martelbros.com.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Thanks for the reply Steve , Ill be ordering a kit real soon . Brakes are at the bottom of the to-do list right now but I have a 83 coupe Im cutting (as said above) that has the 4 cyl booster . I can tell everyone the booster worked GREAT on my 83 . It was a 4cyl car I converted to a V-8 (65 289 with a 89 5 speed + 89 8.8 rear-end) .... With the added weight of the V-8 the car stopped pretty good , Id boil the front brakes stopping sometimes (when I was being stupid) so I know the booster will put the pressure on . If the kit can make the 64.5 I have brake like my 83 did it will be like a dream :)
If you read this Steve , is it possible to use the 83's (4cyl) master cylinder ? Im not sure if it would fit in the space needed , perhaps you would know . Thanks , Chris .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts