Vintage Mustang Forums banner

What A/c in 65 with 5.0

971 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Nos681 
#1 ·
What a/c system are y’all using in 65/66?

i have 92 5.0 and accessory drive with air pump deleted In my 65.
Still have fox a/c mounted in car and was working in my 92.

pictures would be great too. Thanks!

#2 ·
Hmmm… Unless you are willing to do some unique modification, I'm not sure.

Typically, when putting a 5.0 in a 1st generation Mustang, I alter the whole timing cover/pulley/bracket/water pump setup to match the year, in your case 65. Easy to do with bolt-on parts, makes everything compatible, and makes your 5.0 a "stealth" motor, looking like a stock 65 289.

#4 ·
For my '67 EFI conversion, I used the compressor that came with the 90 engine, and used upgraded condensor/evaporator and parts from classic auto air to keep the rest looking stock. I don't have a picture handy but I do have a few on my website listed in my sig, last pic under reader rides and title pic under restorations tab for the interior. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
I am working on the same thing. I have a 92 5.0 with the stock serpentine. I ordered a vintage air setup and plan to do a bulkhead on the passenger side panel for the hoses and block off the stock firewall hose/fan motor location. The issue I am having is getting the adapter brackets for the Sanden compressor. I understand Original Air makes them but I haven't been able to get just those without a big kit yet. No response back from my call or email yet. Saw it on a youtube video to get the idea.

If I can't buy the right bracket, I may have my neighbor make them as he has the right CNC tools at his fabrication business.

All of this has been put on hold as I am moving and taking too much time assembling my new garage/shop, so I just have piles of boxes for this project so far.

#6 ·
Since I have a non-stock Semi-Boss 302 engine in my '65 I bought a 554164 "evaporator kit" from Vintage Air and then bought my compressor, condenser and filter/drier separately and made up my own hoses to connect it all together.
Do you have the '92 compressor still on your engine? You could do the same thing using the 554164. Or you could go with a reproduction "under the dash" original style evaporator if that's what you prefer.

#8 ·
Dan,
Why do you need A/C where you are? Are you trying to piece this together on the cheap or are you willing to spend some $ on parts. Custom auto air or vintage air should be able to set you up with everything you need to complete the system. You need condenser, dryer, hoses and evaporator.

#9 ·
I have all original stock parts including the original compressor in decent shape. Some components should be replaced, but I was able to check integrity of evaporator...been under vacuum since fall and still holding.

#11 ·
Gary, it’s not the heat...it’s the humidity.?

I can deal with heat and humidity ( most of the time), I’m looking out for my Baby...ya know the better 2/3‘s.

Would use 92 compressor and 65 evaporator.

I don’t want all the electronics for my a/c.

Would like to find a condenser/drier assembly combo to have a clean install. Similar to original but cleaner.

Vintage air looks cobbled together in my opinion. Factory setup looked better...but not sure if that’s the route I want yet.

Interested in possibly mounting in air pump location and move my p/s up.
All using fox accessory drive.
I know I’m asking a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.