Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day in the fall timeframe of 1976, my girlfriend and I, along with two friends, climbed into my 1965 GT Mustang, and drove out to the desert east of San Diego for an overnight campout. On the next morning, as we drove out of the desert to the highway (about 1 mile or so), my upper radiator hose blew off the radiator, spewing fluid all over the engine. I figured there was enough water in the system to allow me to go to a nearby gas station, about 2-3 miles down the road. I re-attached the hose, and drove gingerly to the gas station, using the clutch to coast downhill. I refilled the radiator, and drove back home. I never touched the system again after that: no hose replacement, no thermostat replacement...nothing. There was no more problems with several months of usage.

To this day, I still don't know exactly what happened or why. What is your speculation?

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
I believe that is the first instance of the Midlife Curse. Thanks so much for the history lesson. LOL
Stan
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Your car was struck by a death-ray from visiting aliens. Luckily for you it struck the radiator hose instead of the passenger compartment. You and your girlfriend would have been vaporized instantly.

·
4,129 Posts
Many life changes, I graduated from high school and joined the Air Force. :biggrin: fd

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
You spilled some Yukon Jack on the hose prior to assembling it or while bragging about your 'hot powerplant' (see Dodgestang's sig pic) with your GF and buddies. The rest is history...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Is this what I have to look forward to as I get old(er)?? :winkgrin: A lifetime of what ifs and small items that keep me up at night? Is this what Alzheimers truly is? A recollection of items stored in the darkest reaches of the mind suddenly let loose like new ATF fluid in a waayyy overdue transmission? How far back can you go Mid? Perhaps the womb? :paranoid: :horror:

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I'm with John: the hose clamp must not have been tight. But why?

Was it especially hot? You mentioned it was in the morning, so I'm assuming it was pretty cool out, even in the desert. Only thing I can think of is the clamp heated up more than usual and expanded. Tightened clamp in San Diego at 75*, pops off when clamp gets to 200*. Of course, I can't explain why it didn't come off sooner with 180* coolant in it.

Maybe it was something that happened the night before when you drove in: system got hotter/more pressure than usual (?)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
You don't happen to remember what the conversation was about just prior to the incident do you? ::

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
First of all, you're mind doesn't function well enough to recall accurately what happened. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. You were then and are now too big of a nerd to have a girlfriend, so clearly that part didn't happen
2. You were a nerd, but a hippie as well - you were actually on a Jim Morrison inspired Peyote induced vision quest
3. During the night, in your drug induced hysteria, you mistook your car for a wrestling opponent of some sort. You attacked the car and cut its throat. Victorious and completely strung out at this point you passed out.
4. In the morning, sobered up, you saw what you had done and put the hose back on the car. Filled it up with pee so you could make it to the nearest gas station.
5. There were no more problems for several months until the smell from the urine/coolant mixture was too much and you had to flush the system - pun intended.

That clear things up for you?

-bob

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I was coming up with the same type of post in my head (having been a teen in 76 with first hand experience!) but Bob beat me to it. LOLOLOL

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
WOW that pretty much sums it up!!!!!!!!! :sniping:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I was coming up with the same type of post in my head (having been a teen in 76 with first hand experience!) but Bob beat me to it. LOLOLOL
oh oh oh that just BEGS to be replied to... nothing like "first hand experience" when you were a teen! :eek: :eek: :rofl:

And whats this about bob beating you ?? Who knew?!?! :rofl:

·
Registered
21,090 Posts
I think you got engaged and married.

My guess is what Johnpro said, loose clamp. I'll bet it was a worm screw clamp. With these types of clamps, they don't apply pressure because they can't streatch or contract like the wire spring clamps like the factory uses. The screw loosens up a little bit, you've lost your ability to hold. However, the round wire spring type will always apply pressure despite something expanding or contracting due to temperatures.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
oh oh oh that just BEGS to be replied to... nothing like "first hand experience" when you were a teen! :eek: :eek: :rofl:

And whats this about bob beating you ?? Who knew?!?! :rofl:
U,m,mmm Well, I didn't mean, you misunderst.. NO!

LOL

I was talking about the Morison drug induced haze... :horror:

I actually had quite a babe in HS. She was my only redeeming quality.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts