Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I get good welds on 1/8" with my craftsman 105 amp MIG.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
The Campbell-Hausfeld flux core welder sold at Home Depot has a high and low setting. It works quite well for sheetmetal at the low setting. The wire speed has an effect on heat as well so both settings have to be set correctly to dial in the welder. The welder was $199

By the way, I may be working with a Boeing group in Huntsville soon. I love fishing ( fly fishing and bass fishing ) and I know there are several very good bass lakes in Alabama. Do you have any recommendations for the Huntsville area? Thanks

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
At 80 a week rental, plus what you save from not having the work done in a shop, you could get a Hobart or Lincoln in the "175" range for a good price. Might even be able to find a reconditioned one with a warranty for a lot less.

·
Registered
675 Posts
jpony,

If at all possible get a MIG welder that's ready for gas shield welding. It's so much nicer, well worth the extra money in the time you'll save not scraping slag. You can get a Lincoln 135 that does flux and MIG for about $400 at Lowes...

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
what to look for in a flux core welder?

nothing...

get a MIG...

Flux core specific welders tend to be the bottom of the line units, with no duty cycle and crappy power supplies. It all adds up to wasted time and money, with a heap of frustration thrown in.

Get a Lincoln MigPak 135 at the minimum, and get the gas!

A welder is an investment, not a throw away appliance like a TV or telephone. Mine is over 15 years old and still welds like new.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Josh: I'm very concerned about what you're about to attempt. You previously stated you have no welding experience, and quarter panels require extreme finesse to do it properly. I consider myself a competent welder, and the thought of doing quarter patches scares the bejeesus out of me! I would never attempt that job without several more hours, days, or months of practice. I wouldn't even consider doing that with flux core.

Surely there are good competent welders in your area. Have you checked with your local Mustang club? If you had 220V, I would even consider coming up to your area and doing it, but not on a quarter panel. Surely there are some competent body shops willing to tackle a couple hour job like this...it's almost a no-brainer for someone with experience.

I would not go down the path you're contemplating...you're going to make matters a whole lot worse, my friend. I spent well over 100 hours in a VocTech school getting familiar with welding before I even attempted a real repair, and even then, another 200 hours before I became proficient. I have to go back and redo much of my earliest work on Midlife.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts