Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a question earlier about converting to Aod and from the answers I recieved it seems that more than just the '83-'92 mustang AOD will work. According to NPD I had to use the mustang AOD because of differences in the tailshaft. So, which ones will work. Do ones behind say the 3.8L and are the ones behind the rwd 4 bangers the same also. I'm asking so I know where to look for one. I have access to an '84 Crown Vic if that'll work. Thanks,
-Brian

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,831 Posts
The guys at Baumann are sharp. My condensed version is that 3.8's will bolt up, but can't handle V8 torque for very long. They can be upgraded rather easily by a good tranny shop. 4 cylinders use an A4LD. A whole 'nother animal that you want nothing to do with.
You can basically use any old AOD. V8 AOD's are best behind a V8. Trans shops consider to the 89+ newer design to be a rather more robust design(I've only used earlier ones with little problems, but that's what they say). It's preferable to use one from a Mustang or some Tbirds/Cougars because the shift linkage is set up for a floor shift already. A few Tbirds have column shift, all Mustangs are floor shifts. Some Town Cars and F150's have a 1" longer tailshaft which will require driveshaft shortening.
All these AODs can be made to work, some more easily than others. An old LTD will work, the shift linkage may have to be "rotated" for your floor shift setup. Some VMFers have said they used this combo and didn't need to change the linkage. It's not a real big deal to do if you have to. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The 1989 and newer are better with the changes to lub ports to the rear of the tranny. Best AOD to leave the factory is the T-Bird SuperCoup (SC), Yes it is a V6 but it is the best collection of AOD parts and bolts up to the small V8. Second and third best would be the Lincoln LSC and mustang GT. Not as trick as the SC but still good.
I purchased a burnt up core of a SC and rebuilt it stock with a Baumann shift kit. I used the 351W AOD tork converter cause it has a LOWER stall speed for efficiency. I have not had any experience with the other shift kit brands but found the Baumann to have everything you could want and a lot more.
I gut my car out more often than I should admit and the tranny has held up great. I have heard of the direct drive shaft shearing in these tranny but I bet it is because some one makes it SLAM into gear from taking the shift kit install to the extreme.
I would expect that any core you will find will have a burnt up OD band, this is the most common failure. By the way, there is no clutch in the tork converter. The direct drive shaft is splined to the housing of the converter, giving power to the 3rd and overdrive directly from the engine.
There is a long and short version of the AOD,choose the short. I replaced a FMX with a AOD. I cut 1/3rd of the FMX crossmember away to make room for the big fluid pan on the AOD. The flex plate I used is a 351W from a AOD car from the salvage yard. Dipstick worked perfectly as is.
The biggest challenge is the Throttle feedback cable which is very important to the shifting and long life of the transmission. I used a cable assy from a donor car and fabricated a custom attachment at the carb and manifold to hold it. Get the driveshaft yoke from a donor car.
Speedometer gears are the same size but you will have to calculate your correct gear because there are both 7 and 8 tooth drive gears on different AOD output shafts.
I had a gutted AOD case that helped to properly fit the crossmember and shift levers. I trimed some of the lugs from the case to help clear the transmission tunnel. The original driveshaft was not modified, the difference in yoke lengths helped make this possible.
I had to ding the exhaust H pipe to made room for the rear left corner of the fluid pan. Don't forget to install a drain plug in the fluid pan.
Your car has a interlock to prevent the shifter from being moved without the ignition key switched on. Because the AOD does not have the needed "ear" on its gear selector shaft, I carefully welded one on.
AODE is a good option with its 2inch wide OD band but you must buy a trick little box that operates it as if there were a computer in your car. Baumann sell these. John

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
John, I'm confused on a couple parts of your post:

I used the 351W AOD tork converter cause it has a LOWER stall speed for efficiency.
What is the power band of your engine? The stock AOD converter stall speed for most V8's, as I understand, is around 1800-2000 RPMs. If you're engine, say makes it's best power from 1500-6500 like mine, your converter is completely locked up before you've started making any real power. I used a B&M 2400 hole shot converter to more closely match my power band. If I had an 1800 stall converter, I couldn't launch in my power band, or I'd likely stall the engine (either that or I wouldn't be able to keep it stopped).

Your car has a interlock to prevent the shifter from being moved without the ignition key switched on. Because the AOD does not have the needed "ear" on its gear selector shaft, I carefully welded one on.
I don't get that. Which Mustangs have an interlock that prevent the gear shift from moving? None of my 4 do ('65-'69).

I'm confused.

Thanks,
John

P.S. The rest of your post is a STRONG argument for buying the TV cable, x-member, and shifter adapter from Windsor Fox. Those 3 pieces make the AOD swap pretty much a plug and play operation /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Choice of tork converters at the tranny parts supply house is a 302 and a 351. 302 had a higher stall speed. I have lots of low end torq already, so I chose the 351. It is only a issue if in first and second, in 3rd and OD the converter is not used and a direct drive shaft from the center of the converter transfers energy. If you purchased a unit that was modified to never use the direct drive shaft then you are really churning up lots of heat in the converter all the time especially if it has a high stall speed.
The shifter lock comes into play on cars with the ignition key hole in the columb only. (You do not own any of these)
The description of how to do the AOD swap without purchasing any prefab goodies just goes to show you what can be done with a little imagination. John

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,831 Posts
Who? Me? I've got 3 homebrew AOD installations on the road now with no problems. I've never found it necessary to personally deal with Baumann. They are very competent and knowledgeable, also very expensive. I'm sorta competent, know alittle, and I'm cheap.
Are! you! EVER! going! to! fill! out! your! profile!!!!!!!!????????????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts