Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fill the quarter ornament holes and vinyl top molding holes. I dont like the ornament, and I'm getting rid of the vinyl top.

What's the recommended way to weld up the holes?
Quarter Ornaments - Place a small piece of metal behind each hole in the quarter panel to act as a backing then plug weld/fill the holes?

Vinyl top molding holes - The metal there seems thicker then else where. Should I just add a bunch of tack welds to close the holes up, then grind smooth?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Use a piece of copper pipe as a backer to weld the holes. Pound it flat and hold it against the back of the hole while welding the hole from the opposite side.

The weld won't stick to the copper pipe and it'll help you to fill in the hole.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Clean both sides and mig. I use a rectangular piece of copper as backing if possible. I makes it cleaner. You don’t have to if you can’t get to it.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
7,044 Posts
If I'm welding up a hole I'll tap it in a bit first. Weld it up in short tacks, don't try to do it all at once. Use a blow gun to keep the weld and panel cool. Stagger back and forth between the sail panel holes and the quarter panel holes. The holes in the sail panel seams don't need to be tapped in since they are already recessed.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I like to punch filler plugs out of sheet metal, then grind around the hole and run a reamer in the hole to cleanup. To weld the plug from the outside I use a pencil magnet and tack in place, then weld. Grind when done and looks great inside and out.
Should you choose to just weld the hole, using the aforementioned copper backer works good, and you can grab a gas welding rod (or coat hanger in a pinch) and use as filler with your free hand while you are mig welding to fill the hole or gap easily. Ghetto tig...

·
Registered
1967 GT500
1,646 Posts
I use a copper plate as a backing. You can also buy copper paddles with shapes for this I believe through Eastwood

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
When I can access the rear of the panel, I just use a flat piece of steel, washer, slug, etc. and weld a coat hanger / welding rod to it, so I can hold it from the outside. The slug "covers the hole" from the inside, or in case of a washer, covers most of the hole, and then I weld to the slug/washer from the outside so there is little lost metal, and it goes quickly. The rod stub is just cut off when done.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This. I would investigate the extent of the rust before welding the holes. Patch panels may be in your future.
The metal on both sides of the ornament holes is nice and clean. Same on the Vinyl top trim.

My new future problem - I found that this is a replacement quarter. It is actually riveted where it joins to the sail panel to the quarter. Yes. Aluminum rivets, what looks like caulk in the seam and coat of plastic under the vinyl top. I'll post a photo later. Look like whoever put the quarter on, took multiple tries with the drill to get the quarter ornament holes in the right place. There was a lot of strip caulk plugging up the back side of those holes.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I need to fill the quarter ornament holes and vinyl top molding holes. I dont like the ornament, and I'm getting rid of the vinyl top.

What's the recommended way to weld up the holes?
Quarter Ornaments - Place a small piece of metal behind each hole in the quarter panel to act as a backing then plug weld/fill the holes?

Vinyl top molding holes - The metal there seems thicker then else where. Should I just add a bunch of tack welds to close the holes up, then grind smooth?
View attachment 802772

View attachment 802771
What Bart said ! If this is a factory vinyl top car you have more than just holes to fill to get rid of the molding and top. The length of the molding area needs to be filled--it wasn`t originally, unlike a non vinyl top car.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I used copper plate as backing, could I fill in the hole like a plug weld/continuous fill - will that set me up for warpage? , or do I need to do little Tacks at a time, cool down, then begin again?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If I used copper plate as backing, could I fill in the hole like a plug weld/continuous fill - will that set me up for warpage? , or do I need to do little Tacks at a time, cool down, then begin again?
With the level of your questions, I would recommend to get a big piece of sheet metal, make some holes similar to those you want to weld on the car and then practice. Using an outside panel on the car to "learn" how to weld something, got a BIG chance of making you regretting you even tried.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts