Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for 14" drag radials to fit my 69...what are the best? And, how big can I get; I've heard up to 265-60-14 will fit...or maybe I should move up to 15" rims.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
When my back wear out, I'm going to go with a set of Mickey Thomson ET street tire. I understand they're basically their slick with just enough of a groove in it to be DOT legal. But being a fairly soft tire, they will wear out fast, especially if you stick your foot in it often (like I do), and they don't do to well on the highway (they wear out fast) and no traction in the rain.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've heard alot of good things about Nitto Drag Radials, I don't know from personal experience though.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
depending if you want a 'street legal' DOT tire or a all out race tire, tirerack.com has some good reviews. For a mean street/strip tire a lot of people like the Nitto 555 or the 555R. For a car more oriented towards the strip, the MT ET Streets are the best for 'strip' but still being street legal. if it's an all out race car just get real slicks like hoosier or MT drag slicks, they won't be street legal but you'd be surprised how many hot rods I see drivin around with slicks on em. Just dont get caught in the rain or go over 65 on the freeways.

·
Registered
989 Posts
A couple of old 15" wheels and a good pair of Hoosiers aren't that expensive and quick and easy to change. Do it right if you really want to go racing. why ruin some good street tires.

I am running:
(2) Centerline 9" rear drag wheels w/ 26/9/15 HOOSIER Drag slicks #D05 compound

Doc the moneymanager
http://moneymanagment.info/347completed.jpg

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I am currently running Nitto drag radials on two of my late model F-bodies (99SS and my 97 Formula). They grab like super glue, so much so, I ruined the clutch (it was going out anyway) in my 97 Formula. Now that the clutch has been replaced with a 6-puck ceramic race/street piece, I am worried about the weak rear end.......

Drag radials are GREAT as long as you are paying attention to the entire suspension setup. Also, keep in mind, the drag radials (like my Nittos) have a tread wear of 100 which is NOTHING compared to normal street tires, meaning the actual tread will wear down a lot quicker. IF you are active in drag racing like I am, they are the way to go, but if it is primarily street driving, go with a nice sticky all weather street radial....

randy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip...I was looking at the MT's, but I now understand the wear may be too much for the street!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Nittos are the ones I've heard the most about. But they may have too much wear for the street. Maybe I'll just stuff big radials and get a posi... Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts