Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the suspension on my 69 Mach to get better handling. I am putting 1" drop 620 coil springs in the front and 5 leaf mid-eyes in the rear. I am planning on using Midolyne bushings and KYB shocks. Now for the advice part...What are best sway bars, both front and back, that I can get. I have found 1" front and 3/4" rear. Are there bigger ones? Where do I get them? Are there better alternatives to just a standard sway bar in the rear? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The 1" and 3/4" size bars sound pretty good for a street car. Could go larger if you plan on racing it with excellent tires, but otherwise I wouldn't go overboard. Too large of a rear sway bar can make your car VERY loose in the corners.

Mustangs Plus has adjustable sway bars if you really want to fine tune your suspension. Of course, they are a lot more expensive.
For a street car I'd just get standard sway bar and spend the extra money elsewhere.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
I have a 1 1/8" front and 7/8" rear sway bars on my daily
driver '64 Falcon Sprint. No problems. Handles great.

We have the same set up on our '66 coup street car,
and our street/track '65 coup. We like the big bars.
They make a 1.33" for a Camaro! Why not a Mustang?

Get them from Jim at Mustangs Plus.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
1 1/8" front and 5/8" rear....get the adjustable rear so you can adjust your under/oversteering.....

I would also go for the upper control arm drop and the variocentric camber adjustment.

take a look at the TCP export brace and monte carlo bar nice additions to the suspension.

regards

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Mustangs Plus used to have their "Magna" line of suspension components, but I haven't seen them in a while. Maybe they changed the name. In any case, I bought their Magna 620's, 1 1/8" front, 3/4" rear, and KYB Gas-a-Just combo.

I love the sway bars. The car handles great. I used to always say it outhandled my old man's Acura, which until I bought my 2001 stang was the best handling car I had driven (other than an MR2, but that doesn't count, it's just unfair to have the mid engine weight distribution /forums/images/icons/wink.gif).

HOWEVER, I'd go with some softer springs next time. The 620's are VERY stiff, and I almost went stiffer. Watch out for railroad tracks, and that pebble in the road, cuz you're gonna feel it in your teeth.

Don't forget to order a set of polyurethane coil spring perches, and spring insulators. I forgot the first time /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts