Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the weekend, I pulled the carb to give it a clean and put on a 1/2in phenolic spacer to keep the carb a little cooler. I was wondering if this could have caused pinging at all. I didnt touch the timing, but I did change the oil (25w50 Penzoil) and coolant. The engine seems to be running hotter than it used to, but before yesterday I had never heard it ping before. I've read that the pinging could be causing the increase in temp, is this right? Should I look at backing off the timing first?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I can't see how the spacer would cause it to ping unless you have a vaccume leak and it leaned it out. But it would idle BAD.
Pinging will cause it to run hotter and running hotter may cause it to ping. Might want to check you timing.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
A lean mix will also cause pinging. Did you mess with the idle setting? Float settings? I would also worry about whether the cleaning dislodged dirt that ended up in a more critical place. You didn't say what carb, or what "cleaning" you did, so being more specific is difficult

Carl

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the fast idle screw position a little to increase the idle speed, and also the position of the screw that stops the choke cam. Its an edelbrock 1406. I cleaned some burnt PCV carbon off the bottom of the carb, it was generally pretty clean and didnt really need cleaning. The floats were still in the right position and werent touched.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If the idle seemed faster you may have added a vacuum leak. That could lean out the mixture and cause a ping.

An increase in temperature can cause ping.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Did you top up the fuel since you played with the carb?Some of our petrol stations can do strange things with their petrol & upset the octane rating!
Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts