Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found these numbers on my early 1965 Dearborn convertible. They're inside the driver's side front wheel well just in front of the spring. Anyone know what they mean? :wave:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1202608348-wheelwellnumbers.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Seen/found them on a few cars. Not sure the purpose or meaning (applied during the first half of assembly it seems) May not have been done on every car but the ones I have were applied to the passenger side of the car like Charles posted

·
Registered
151 Posts
Where is this picture from? assembly line? Wow!!!

Is it from 65 Dearborn too?

Thank for sharing this picture.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
My guess is that those numbers correspond with the fenders, valance, stone deflector, and headlight buckets that were painted separately from the car. I don't know this to be true, but it makes some sense.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great shot Charles. Those numbers do look very similar, but why on the opposite side? Or maybe there are numbers on both sides of the car and we can't see them? How many other cars have these numbers? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
ivygreen65 said:
My guess is that those numbers correspond with the fenders, valance, stone deflector, and headlight buckets that were painted separately from the car. I don't know this to be true, but it makes some sense.
San Jose used only two during this period to track only fenders. They had nine items to keep track of so don't know if three numbers would do, but its a thought. Never seem to get over/higher than the number 34 so far from the ones I've seen and the pictures at the top are the first ones I've seen on a car today (all others were from the period

Here is another from Dearborn assy line

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Jeff,

I agree with you, based on data and pictures that you've provided, that San Jose used a different system. I was only guessing that this may be the system that Dearborn used, similar in function to what San Jose used. Again, that's just a theory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts