Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang Convertible
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I was cleaning out my trunk when I found some parts that I have no idea what they are...one looks like a piece of cardboard glued to the back of the well-liner...it is in fairly bad shape and I assume is original to the car...what is it (see first picture)?

The second piece I am curious about is on the floor of the trunk (under the trunk mat)...looks like a strip of tar or something...able to move it a little any ideas (see second picture)?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I’m not real familiar with 70s, but a lot of the cars had a Cardboard divider between the rear seat area and the trunk

i can’t make out what you are referring to in the 2nd pic, but it’s likely just seam sealer

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Pic 1 - Trunk divider found on convertibles between well liner and trunk.
Pic 2 - Trunk underlayment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pic 1 - Trunk divider found on convertibles between well liner and trunk.
Pic 2 - Trunk underlayment.
Well then...looks like I need a new underlay mat and I guess a new trunk divider (I think). Any recommendations on where to get these? Is it even possible to get these?

Edit: Found the undermat at National Parts Depot...but the trunk divider I think is going to be a lot tricker to find.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I just went through their whole site...found a lot of parts that I think I am going to buy...:)

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
There should also be a piece of hardboard glued to the top of the gas tank right below the spare. It's there to provide support for the tire. Most cars are missing this piece, so if you have it, cool! If not, you might want to make something similar to make sure your tank doesn't get dented.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There should also be a piece of hardboard glued to the top of the gas tank right below the spare. It's there to provide support for the tire. Most cars are missing this piece, so if you have it, cool! If not, you might want to make something similar to make sure your tank doesn't get dented.
I have that piece...just have not glued it down. Going to slowly go through my list and order parts (going to cost over 1k for everything...so time to save up money).

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Get your needs thru NPD as those parts are overpriced from that website shown! NPD will have them but under diff categlory. Wes

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
147 Posts
+1 on NPD for all your needs. Order something, get the free catalog. Go broke. Repeat.
And I highly recommend the youtube channel AutoRestoMod
-DrC

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd consider putting something more substantial than cardboard between the trunk and top-well. Some folks put sheet-metal in there, some use fiber-board or plywood.

Two reasons to consider:
  • Sound deadening
  • Firewall
There's a LOT of road noise in the trunk, convertible are already loud, so keeping "some" sound out of the passenger compartment helps.
There's a thin metal gas tank in the trunk (think Pinto) and if it catches fire there's just some cardboard between the trunk fire and you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts