Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to edit my other post, but the time limit expired. I was planning on putting these in the local paper for sale, but I really don’t know what a realistic asking price for them would be. I was going to go $6,000 obo for both cars.

The main car is a 67 coupe. I decoded the vin once, it’s a basic 289 2bbl basic interior car. It’s been modified since then. Motor is a late 80’s 302, eldebrock 600 carb performer intake, unknown cam. Runs pretty strong, no smoke or rattles. It has a MSD billet distributor and 6A box. It dumps into a set of bent and leaking headers, and into dual exhaust with a crossover and turbo mufflers. Trans is a C4, rear is 8” with 3.23 gears and open diff. I’ve put a bunch of new parts on the car in the past year. Here’s all the new parts front to back: Radiator. SSBC power disk brakes kit. Front suspension arms (laurel mt mustang delrin? bushings), new power steering pump, pulley, all hoses, ram. On the engine, Eldebrock 600 carb, water pump, timing chain, fuel pump, MSD 6A box, motor mounts. C4 Trans fully professionally rebuilt. U-joints replaced two years ago. On the rear axle, brand new open diff, 3.23 gears, and bearings. Rear drum brakes fully rebuilt with new drums. I also have an Electric Life power door window conversion kit that hasn’t been installed yet.

Condition of the car: The white paint is crap, it has many chips, and small pin-sized bubbles all over it (water in the primer?). One very small dent in front fender, very straight panels elsewhere. There’s a rust bubble on the rear fender that’s 3” tall, 1” wide. There’s a rust spot on the bottom of the pass. side door, on the underside. No other rust that I’m aware of. Interior has 80’s bucket seats, rear seat has a cloth cover, carpet has a hole in the driver’s footwell, back half of the headliner is gone. Ok dash pad, it’s not warped. All interior metal was spray canned semi-gloss black, but not that good. No horns, but all electrical works fine. There was serious wiring problems, but I corrected them, haven’t had any since. But the wiring is fairly butchered looking. Car had air conditioning, but is missing all brackets, condenser, and compressor. It’s also missing the under-dash heater controls. Only the driver’s side window works, all other windows regulators are broken. I have new power window kit for the doors, just not installed. Car has a salvage title, but I can’t find evidence that it was wrecked. I think it was a parts car that someone fixed up. All work was done by a PO, I only added all the new parts listed above. I drive it every day, it does fine.

68 mustang coupe was bought for parts. I haven’t decoded the vin, but it looks like a bone stock 289, 2bbl, what looks to be the deluxe interior with a console. It was hit in the front, but don’t look to be bent other than the inner panel on the drivers side is bent towards the motor about 3”. Needs all front sheet metal except the hood. Rest of the body is straight. Paint is shot, some desert style surface rust that would come off with a brillo pad. No rust holes that i've seen. Interior is very filthy but complete. Headliner is falling down, dash and console pads are warped. Car runs, but badly because of 6yr old gas. No oil smoke, no death rattles. C4 trans, unknown gears in rear. Manual drums brakes, power steering, complete A/C system. Car moves under its own power, but has no brakes. I have a full Granada disk conversion for this car, everything but the booster. Has a good clear title. Looks like it was a nice car that was hit, taken apart, and sat too long.

Sorry about the long post. I still like early mustangs, but I’m wanting to move on to something else, maybe a 61-63 T-bird, or 63-65 Riviera. Anyhow, what do you think they are worth?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Can't scrape up 5 bucks?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Can't scrape up 5 bucks?
i hope they delete this Gary
Hope they do it soon.
ken
WTF? He's just asking what it's worth, it's not an ad. Besides, Bob's still in mexico, and you probably couldn't buy an ad if you wanted to. :pissed: I find your attitudes truly disgusting, railing on somebody like this for asking a simple honest question. :nono:

I'd say 6k is a bit low but probably not too far off.
--Kyle

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
1) walks like a duck, sounds like a duck... Its an ad.
2) Worth 500 bucks. No I am not kidding or being sarcastic.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Can't scrape up 5 bucks?
i hope they delete this Gary
Hope they do it soon.
ken
WTF? He's just asking what it's worth, it's not an ad. Besides, Bob's still in mexico, and you probably couldn't buy an ad if you wanted to. :pissed: I find your attitudes truly disgusting, railing on somebody like this for asking a simple honest question. :nono:

I'd say 6k is a bit low but probably not too far off.
--Kyle
I agree with Kyle. The guy actually took the time to ask in a previous post if it was okay to post "what's it worth" posts. He got divided responses, and went for it.

Normally this forum is pretty welcoming and non-flaming. :(

Chris

·
Registered
446 Posts
You guys must of had some bad soup or salad for lunch today. I love this site because there isn't much of this on here.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
AMEN!Be nice guys! :winkgrin:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Seriously man, theres no way in hell that it is only worth 500 bucks thats total crap.. i would say your in the right area, i would ask 6500 or 7000 and you can work from there when people call up on it, i bought my 67 coupe which was in much worse condidtion than the first one you describe for 6 thousand, so there are idiots ouit there that will pay too much, but 6 or 7 thousand sounds about right

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I posted the question first, just to see if anyone would jump me on it. No one did, so I figured it was ok.

I'm selling LOCALLY, I have no interest in dealing online, or on Ebay. I included a price to see if that price was out of line. If my post was out of line, then a mod can delete it and it would be perfectly fine with me.

Thanks to those with advice, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thats the whole idea of what its worth posts. To get peoples OPINIONS. To me, all the previous mods mean nothing. People love to put stuff on cars and then think they will get the full price in the end when they sell it. Its used stuff, thats it.
Also, rot in the panels, bent from an accident, Salvage titles. crap paint, no brakes, parts missing galore? rot in the floors?

All I see is a project that will never be worth what someone has to put into it to get it to a decent stage. All those nice extra parts are just that, extras that are nice to have but not necessary. They mean something only to the right buyer. Straight panels, excellent paint, no rust appeals to everyone so thats an easy sell.

to me its worth 500 dollars. Sounds like someone bought all the crap and they realized that the cars they were going to work on were junk. You really can't expect to get what you put into it.

Just my .02 but no way in hell close to 5-6K. Maybe if it were a fastback.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Your post was not out of line, nor is your asking price. Sorry you got drug through the coals for an honest, legitemate question.
John - I completely agree. C'mon guys, let's think before we post.

2) Worth 500 bucks. No I am not kidding or being sarcastic.
Pete, I didn't know that you were the final authority on Mustangs. You really need to learn the difference between expressing your opinion and expressing your opinion as if it were fact. There is a difference. You may also find that you won't rub people the wrong way quite so much. Just my humble opinion....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts