Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
A few red flags:

1964 C5AE heads are 1965 heads (not an issue, just clarification)

1.94 intakes are big for 289 heads and can suffer from shrouding if not unshrouded.

The do not flow 270 cfm intake and 190 cfm exhaust. Typical numbers are 220 and 170. 230 and 180 is very good for these heads.

Why isn't there better pics of the ports?

I'd ask what brand of rockers they are

I'd ask about what springs and valves are on the heads too

That said, If they have good port work, good parts, etc then $600 is fair

·
Registered
792 Posts
IMO it's not a bad price if you want to use iron for the stealthy look. I bought a street fighter torque converter (about $300, 10 years ago) for a friend and got his 351W street and strip ported 1970 heads with just roller tip rockers. Made 398HP and 395 torque on my 347 at the crank.

If I could go back I would have spent the extra money on 185afr's, but at the time I wanted a more sleeper look.

Haven't priced it, but those roller rockers are probably $200 alone?

$400 for rebuilt stock heads would probably be about the going rate??? and you got all the extra improvements made for extra power.

Nate

·
Registered
792 Posts
Oh, stock valve covers won't fit with those rockers though. Pretty sure you need a spacer or taller covers.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
Calling them "high performance" heads could be a little misleading, since the 289HP, and over the counter Ford kits featured "High Performance" heads, and these aren't them.

Anyone can upgrade their 289 heads. While getting the nth degree of performance out of them requires expert work, "pretty darn good" is fairly easy, and takes two or three hours.

289/302 Cylinder Head Port Matching

1 - 5 of 5 Posts