Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 66 is in the garage for the winter. With that, I was wondering what projects ya’ll are tackling for the next few months?

My first priority is to pray I don’t mess anything up more than it already is. My second priority is to replace the cowl and kick panels.

I’m scared.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Carpet. Probably remove the firewall pad (which is not in great shape). Probably replace the pad with some heat and sound deadener. Work on hooking back up my stereo and then put some miles on it. Spring going to try and redo all the wiring.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
My goal is for the car to sit exactly as is until April in a climate controlled garage with me doing absolutely nothing to it nor spending a dime on it. Sadly, those that know me realize that probably won't happen. It could happen though.

Car Vehicle Plant Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Well I need to pull the motor out again to fix a rear main seal leak again. this will be a 3rd attempt.
finish all of the little things i haven't done.
insulate the fuel line in the tunnel, ck float levels, adjust valve clearance for next season, Shorten pertronix power and ground wires, fine tune the alignment ( needs more caster).
I know there is more

ken

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
584 Posts
This winter the mustang is going to sit (after it comes back from the upholstery shop for a convertible top frame rebuild and recover).
My focus is on the El Camino, the engine is due back in about a week, the transmission is due back in a couple of weeks, the engine bay has been repainted and the underside completely re-undercoated. The steering box has been rebuilt, and the radiator has been flushed and pressure-tested and leaks repaired. Then it all has to go back together with new sidepipe exhaust. After that, to the body shop to repair all of my grandfather's scrapes and dents on the passenger side.
By spring we'll have two fresh classics to drive.:cool:

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
950 Posts
After Thanksgiving I plan to put my 65 back on my homemade rack on rollers, get it up about two ft in the air and pull the wheels/tires for the winter. I should have about 500 miles on the car. Main item I want to accomplish is finalizing the AC. System has been capped/sealed. After I graduate my Google/YouTube AC system certification I’ll need to install the dryer and pull a vacuum etc. Hopefully ascertain zero leaks and move on to charging. Then finalize interior blower tubing and vents.
Other items involve a methodical brake bleed procedure and a transmission and rear diff fluid change. Other than that just a very thorough scrub of the entire underside to ensure every connection, bolt, nut, fitting, and wiring/plumbing run is secure and sound. 👍

·
Registered
65 Coupe 289
114 Posts
I did the front suspension last winter with the exception of the steering box. So getting the sloppy steering box rebuilt is next. Reading up on what it takes to get it out I am a little stressed about it.
Also the po installed a 700 cfm carb on a 289. So I will look to replace that with something that behaves a little nicer.
Lastly the interior lights don't work. Neither does the speedo. But not sure if there will be time for that too.

·
Dimples
7,799 Posts
Fastback: just driving it.

Kid’s coupe: lots.
  • Finish painting the interior bits
  • Hang body panels for paint (already jammed in)
  • Prep for paint in the spring
  • Finish fab/install clutch cable
  • Inspect and fix/upgrade T5

Rowdy coupe: it just gets to sit there, impatiently waiting to be built for fun dumb stuff.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
On the 69 get some custom length AC hoses made so I can finalize the AC install. On the 65 finish up the minor body dents, finish sanding the top paint coat, primer and paint it, along with the engine bay.

Edit: And drive the dang 69 since it sat for a year rebuilding the motor, cleaning up the engine bay wiring, fabricating compressor and alternator brackets, and installing the pita and expensive factory AC. Ya, I pace myself :)

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
778 Posts
I'm probably going to tackle my brakes, install my radio antenna in a better spot, and continue driving it year around. As long as I have the heater in that thing, cold weather won't bother me.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts