Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idea of a lapbelt only in my 65 coupe does not provide a warm and fuzzy feeling as compared to a secure three point lap/shoulder harness. I'm considering scrounging the salvage yard for a retrofit shoulder/lap belt that might work in the coupe. Just curious as to what you might have used for a lap/shoulder conversion, either aftermarket or from a salvage yard. Plus, where/how did you mount the shoulder loop bracket...especially with the headliner already in? Or, should a person go with a racing style harness which may mount up easier? Thanks.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
One of the new Mustang mags has a article on putting in shoulder belts. I just installed Simpson lap belts on mine. I really like them.
Stan

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I put Custom Accessories 3-points in my vert last winter. Easy installation, good support from the vendor, and great fit. I highly recommend them.

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts
Check your coat hook area. There is a stud in there. When was the last time you used a coat hook.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Is the coat hook stud strong enough to be of help?

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Small problem with using "Racing belts" The manufacturers of then put a date code on them. It's good for 2 years. Now, you and I know they last longer than that. But if you go try and run at an NHRA track with out-of-date belts, you went there to just watch.....
Oh, you can get the racing belts rewebbed, only 2 more times, then they say get new ones....

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not concerned about racing. This car will never see a track. I'm just trying to avoid using the shoulder harness loop bracket on the roof, if possible.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Then look into the custom's 3 point vert belt set up...obviously they don't use the roof mount...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
On the Clone Vert I'm using a 3 point set from a 74 (European) Capri. They look nice and say Ford on them.
They're attached through the rollbar. Look at a Jeep Wrangler for a similar set up.
You may get inspired to make your own rollbar :: ::.
If you want to make your own rollbar, I have one from Branda sitting out back that I can get the dimensions off of. PM me if you want the dimensions.

Dan

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all your help guys! :: Much valuable information here. I'll favorite this post for near future reference. Including Midlife's advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts