Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search to look at a few old post on the topic.
I looked on YouTube and saw a few cars that were done with it.
I was looking at the kits and thinking of it as a short term fix.
My plan is add a new hood and fender.
Any thoughts on it ? Lol Try not to be to savage n the comments

·
Premium Member
6,051 Posts
I used Plasti-Dip on a truck bumper and it ends up flat, even with the gloss topcoat, stains easily and even gets streaks in it from where rain water washes down. I think it would be much better if it had a regular gloss spray paint of the same color over it and it would still peel off later if desired. I wouldn't recommend it for a hood, top, etc.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you're just looking to do a hood and fenders, I'd just wrap it. The hood and fenders would be easy enough to do, especially if you remove the fenders. You can do it yourself as well and save the labor. much more durable than plastidip.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I love plastidip. If you do it correctly it will last a very long time. I have done many rims, emblems, etc... The glossifer also works very well depending how many coats you spray. If you are going to do a hood. Then you will need the spray gun. Don't try and do a large surface with spray cans. It will not lap over correctly because of the spray pattern and you will see streaks.

As for wrap. A Mustang hood is not as easy as you think. Especially with a scoop. You can try to glass it out but the scoop and contours make it difficult for a beginner DIY.

From what I gather in the original post. It sounds like you want to dip the whole car? Prep, prep, prep. Mask handles, trim, etc. very good. When you do your final wet coat you must remove all the tape quickly to keep nice crisp lines. Since Mustangs have a lot of chrome trim this may be a lot of work. Or you can just dip everything including the trim.

I have attached some examples.

The rims were done over 1 year ago with dip. The bumper is vinyl.
The rear view was dipped to get some texture then painted over to match my interior.
The MTF hood underside was done with Eastwood 2K which might be an option.

Attachments

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
877 Posts
Here are my other rims as another example. These were done December 2017 and still look great.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
I used PD(for a nice feel) over spray on bed liner(for texture) on my Roof after peeling off the old vinyl. Clearly not everyones cup of tea but it works for me. One thing I learned is to peal of your masking ASAP after spraying as opposed to regular spray paint where you would wait for it to dry a bit first
67074450_910086676010648_2173081099033378816_n.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts