Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy friends
I took my starter off to try to determine if my engine is a 289 or 302
I was having trouble as some guides online were contradicting each other so anyone able to tell me what the block is?
This the best photo I could get

·
Premium Member
10,999 Posts
The casting date appears to be 6L25, Nov 25, 1986. Regardless of E6 or E8 it's not a 289 which was last produced in 1968.

·
Registered
35,133 Posts
It appears to be an E6SE, which would be a 5.0 block, roller-ready, one-piece rear main seal. Theoretically someone could have machined off the oil slinger on a 2.87 inch crank and built a 289 but I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
ssshh, dont tell anyone...now that you know its not stock you can plan a scat stroker kit and roller cam for it should you feel the need for speed :) Paint the aluminum heads, intake and block the correct dark blue.......to the untrained eye..oh, nice 289 is it original? um, maybe? lol..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Since the 302 and 289 share the same bore size the block is not what determines whether you have a 289 or a 302. You have a block that started life in the 1980's. These blocks can be used to replace a worn out or broken 289 block if you used the 289 crankshaft, rods and pistons.

Without checking the crankshaft you have no idea whether its a 289 or a 302.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ssshh, dont tell anyone...now that you know its not stock you can plan a scat stroker kit and roller cam for it should you feel the need for speed :) Paint the aluminum heads, intake and block the correct dark blue.......to the untrained eye..oh, nice 289 is it original? um, maybe? lol..
You read my mind :giggle:

·
Registered
34,956 Posts
Well, you can go a couple ways. You can dress it as a stone-stock 289, for stealth power, and almost no one could tell. Or, you could embrace the whole 5.0 thing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts