Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all need some advice.

Got a 1966 fastback which is going to be a Restomod GT350H

Current engine is a 1978 302 (D8VE-6015-A3A) and is already 60 thou over.
It isn't Mexican and doesn't have the Hi-Po main caps so has nothing going for it!

I'd like a 4 bolt main roller cam block that I can safely stroke to 331.
That way I can lean on it and will hopefully give me many years of happy miles.

No racing or strip, just a strong fast street engine.

Also based in UK so shipping definitely a consideration.

Cheers

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
The only 4-bolt main bearing (journals 2-4) small block Ford's were the Boss302 and the Boss351. The reason being that the bottom end of the SBF, even with a cast crankshaft, is pretty stout and properly prepared can sustain 7,500 rpm regularly. There are AFTERMARKET 4-bolt main blocks but, again, unless you're building a dedicated track car there is little need. If you're going to stick with a OEM cast-iron block and want a roller cam without using link-bar lifters or reduced base-circle camshaft, then any '85-01 5.0 will do. If you want the extra security of large main caps you can buy reproduction HiPo main cap sets but just be aware that you'll need to install them on the bare block and have the assembly line honed. You can also increase clamping force by around 40% by having the caps and block drilled to 1/2" and threaded for 351W main cap bolts vs.. sticking with the 5.0's 7/16" bolts.

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
Yeah, no need for 4-bolt mains. I would suggest finding a 289 or 302 block in good condition with some meat left in the cylinder walls. Shouldn't be too hard even in UK. Install a stroker kit. Run a roller cam with link bar lifters. No big deal.

You can buy such an engine complete or in short block form from Summit Racing. Not sure if they ship to UK, but it would be worth investigating.

·
Registered
396 Posts
As long as you don't plan on nitrous or a blower you should be fine with a stock block. As for the main caps I would put that money towards ARP bolts and the best balance job and balancer you can afford.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts