Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a S code 67 Mustang and these are the photos taken.Current Owner states it's the original Engine.......Would like people that ate well versed in this as I am not.Cast data by oil Filter appears to be 7 M ??.......Car has a April 25th build date on data tag on drivers door
Thanks
Dave Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
801 Posts
FE casting numbers don't really mean too much. But the C7 bit does indicate it was cast in '67, and if it's a 390 block, then I wouldn't doubt it's original. "numbers matching" isn't really a thing on Fords; GM were the ones stamping serial numbers.

Basically, there's no way to know - but this sure COULD be the original, and if the owner says it is, then I'd believe him. It's the specialized things like the manifolds that really distinguish the Mustang big blocks from the truck versions, because they were a tight squeeze. Even if someone went to the trouble of swapping blocks, at least they got one from the right year.

That number was used for 352, 360, 390, 410 and 428 blocks in Ford, Mercury, and trucks alike. To find out more, you'd really need to look at the crank.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Much like the intake manifold example on that page, @Redneckgearhead, many times the same casting number was used for that part, despite it being used in a lot of vehicles. The FE series blocks (not the 427's) mostly got these numbers stamped on all of them. It doesn't mean it was a Mercury motor, even though you'd find them in Mercs too. As far as I know, none of the FE blocks would've been stamped "Z" for Mustang - but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,754 Posts
the "7M??" number is the casting date for the block. It translates to December ??, 1967. If the data plate is the original to the car and the car was built on or near the scheduled assembly date of April 25, 1967, the engine did not exist when the car was assembled. The '68 year models were being assembled in December, 1967.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
+1 on Jeff’s statement. Both my 390s have a C6ME-A casting, but they were built in Jan and March.

Yes, the Mercury Cougar had a 390 in it, and possibly other models.

·
Registered
39,088 Posts
C7ME-A could be a 390 or a 428. If a 428 you should be able to see "428" cast into the engine through the center freeze plug hole. A check of the bore will verify... 390 has a 4.05" bore, 428 is 4.13".

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
"numbers matching" isn't really a thing on Fords"

Yeah, Ford was more of "Dates Matching" instead..EXCEPT on HIGHLY OPTIONED cars such as '64.5-'67 K-Codes and Shelbys which all have VIN# Matching drivetrains to the VIN# of the car. Starting '68, Ford started putting VIN#'s on a lot pof their blocks, but not all... Whatever the case, With Fords, All Body and Drivetrain dates should line up within a 2-3 week period tops....to be a matching drivetrain.. Which makes it a lot easier to hunt for a similar drivetrain to a car that falls within that very same 3 week period. GM's is much more narrow... and harder to "Fake"....and their Blocks and Trannies are dated as well to boot.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The thing to remember about the car line noted in the casting number. That was the original application for the part.
It is not the only application. Probably better think of it as the group that paid for the tooling for that part. After its paid for any other group can use the part and were encouraged to do so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts