Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first mods i plan to add once I bring home my fastback is to add a power brake booster. The car already has 4-wheel disc brakes but I want the added creature comfort and safety of power brakes. Would I be able to buy a specific booster to fit my current master cylinder (I was told it’s a Wilwood) or would I need to get a new booster/master cylinder combo? Any recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Creature comfort...ok. However, what makes you think power brakes are safer?
well maybe not “safer” but definitely easier to get the car stopped quicker in the event a sudden stop is necessary. Just a creature comfort I guess.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Save yourself a lot of headaches and just use a manual master cylinder and skip the booster.
Ask me how I know.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Save yourself a lot of headaches and just use a manual master cylinder and skip the booster.
Ask me how I know.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Interesting...do you mind elaborating on why power is a headache?

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
My jump in with take.......

"Interesting...do you mind elaborating on why power is a headache?"

As was mention, these are light cars., no real need.....
As to the "headache part" :
It adds complications, by taking up room, additional maintenance item. Should you get the urge to go to manual, you can't use the booster in its current form. You're adding a potential Vac leak.

BTW, I removed mine. Have been happy.

·
Registered
628 Posts
One of the first mods i plan to add once I bring home my fastback is to add a power brake booster. The car already has 4-wheel disc brakes but I want the added creature comfort and safety of power brakes. Would I be able to buy a specific booster to fit my current master cylinder (I was told it’s a Wilwood) or would I need to get a new booster/master cylinder combo? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Listen to these guys. You don't need it. I did put one on my car and it didn't make a difference on how it stops. Yes it takes less effort but you will loose some of the "feel" in the pedal. Now I have front disks and rear drums. I'm taking mine off and going back to manual.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Buy one that copy the original Ford design, with a lever behind the booster that changes the pedal ration. I guess most people that had troubles with booster conversion kits, are using cheap kits that usually tries to take a shortcut in the mechanical design and reuse a pedal ratio optimized for manual brakes.

Adding power to my stock manual disc brakes are on the list of best modifications I've done to the car. Drove with the stock manual brakes for years, but never learned to like how the brake pedal felt. Now it feels like the brakes in any modern car

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
If you get the right MC setup (I use a 1" Wildwood MC with an adjustable proportioning valve with 4-wheel disc brake), it will feel like power brakes. I can't even tell the difference...

Tim

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Buy one that copy the original Ford design, with a lever behind the booster that changes the pedal ration. I guess most people that had troubles with booster conversion kits, are using cheap kits that usually tries to take a shortcut in the mechanical design and reuse a pedal ratio optimized for manual brakes.

Adding power to my stock manual disc brakes are on the list of best modifications I've done to the car. Drove with the stock manual brakes for years, but never learned to like how the brake pedal felt. Now it feels like the brakes in any modern car
I believe Ford only made the booster adapter in order to extend the booster out so it wouldn't hit the Z-bar rod in a manual transmission, if I remember correctly.

Tim

·
Dimples
3,748 Posts
I agree that power brakes aren’t necessary. That said, I added the Mustang Steve power brake conversion when I did the C4-to-T5 swap, and it has been trouble free for over a decade. It’s a fairly involved mod, but I’m very happy with it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I believe Ford only made the booster adapter in order to extend the booster out so it wouldn't hit the Z-bar rod in a manual transmission, if I remember correctly.

Tim
That's wrong, because the way its designed it roughly halve the pedal ratio. The same design with a lever behind the booster was also used on other Ford's with power brakes and it was used on both manuel and automatic cars.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
That's wrong, because the way its designed it roughly halve the pedal ratio. The same design with a lever behind the booster was also used on other Ford's with power brakes and it was used on both manuel and automatic cars.
What would be the point of using the booster bracket on a car with an A/T? There are no fitment issues from the Z-bar, etc.

·
Registered
667 Posts
What would be the point of using the booster bracket on a car with an A/T? There are no fitment issues from the Z-bar, etc.
To change the pedal ratio so you get good pedal feel with power brakes. I once owned an early '65 that was factory stock with automatic and power drums. The booster got the lever design.

On good designed power brakes you got short pedal travel, eazy pedal when braking normal and a good feel when braking hard.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm in the middle of a light resto-mod restoration myself. My car is not running so I have no point of reference, but I have never seen such a hotly debate topic as this. I read posts here on how light our cars are and the booster is totally unnecessary. And then the next few posts are guys that did it that said it was one of the top mods they've done.

I have a non power brakes car, but planned on doing power because I want my wife to feel comfortable driving it. I fully get it doesn't make the car stop any better, but she would likely say the 'drive-ability' is better and feels more like a modern car, so I'm leaning towards doing it.

But thanks to you all, I still haven't made my decision yet! :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
.....but I have never seen such a hotly debate topic as this.
The same as power steering, some love it, others think manuel steering are much better. Also remember some people have their cars as daily drivers or sunday cruisers, while others focus more on racing. But no factory Mustang came with manual discs after '66. There are actually very few factory build street cars with manuel disc brakes. Are all the factory engineers wrong?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Fun fact kind of related to this thread is that Hertz got so many complains about the brakes in the Shelbys that they mounted a sticker on the dash, Warning the driver that the car were equiped with racing brakes. Some of the Hertz cars came with a special Mico "2 step" MC, because Shelby tried come up with a solution that made the brakes easier handled for not race car experienced car renters. I think I read somewere that Carrolls own GT350 also got a Mico MC. :)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
My 65 has manual disc/drum. My wife is fine with it.

Im adding PS to the 65, wife is fine with manual steering, my rotator cuff is not.

Its not a one size fits all world we live in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts