Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing tire size for our 65. We have the 16" rims with 4" back spacing. I'm probably stuck with a 205x55x16 tire size. New engine is about 375 hp. with a T5 and 3.50 traction lock. Need a moderate high performance but mostly street and highway. Is there any consensus of a brand of tire that is most reliable for street and highway?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I like the Nitto NT555 G2. I had a set on an 02 Mach 1 and I have a set on my 68. Decent all around performance tire at a fair price.

I ran bf Goodrich g-force on a hot rod 73 911 also and liked those as well.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Depends upon the vehicle's use. Kumho Ecsta on the '68 "driver," Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R on the '66 retired road racer.
More pedestrian rides use the long-proven rain capabilities of the General Altimax for our 2007 Hyundai Sonata and 15" Kumho Crugen on the '48 Ford truck.
All tires are excellent in their various categories.

·
Dimples
4,410 Posts
I'm a fan of Kumhos on daily drivers. My 66 has BFG G Force Sport Comp 2's (17"s) on it and I'm very happy with them. My old BFG T/A's were garbage by comparison.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 is a really good choice these days for people who want a performance tire but don't use their car for serious competition purposes. It's great all-around, especially in the wet. A couple years ago, when I had a car to autocross here, a girl in her Fiat 500 Abarth on the Indy 500s (great driver) did FTD raw in the rain against a bunch of higher performance cars on RE71s and BFG Rivals. Of course in the dry it would be a different story, but it shows the capability of the tire. The Indy 500 is really just a rebrand of the Bridgestone Potenza RE003 that is found in different markets, and is generally accepted as a fantastic summer performance tire.

I had a set of Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs on my Evo when I last raced it, they were great. The Potenza RE-01Rs before were just as good, but these tires are old news and probably don't apply to what you want. I also had Dunlop Direzza DZ102s on my S2000 and didn't find them great at all. They have a really high treadwear (460 TW) and were basically hockey pucks. I was really kicking myself for not spending the extra few dollars on the Firestones.

·
Registered
35,330 Posts
Now there's something I'll have to deal with sooner or later as my Firestone's are 20 years old.... Have a set of Yokohama Avid Envigor's on the Magnum that I'm really pleased with... will probably scope out a set for the Mustang as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm running a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on my daily driver Subaru BRZ. Excellent all around tire.
Several yeas ago I ran Yokohama S Drives on my '67 Mustang. Solid performance with good value

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll second the Firehawk Indy 500s and the Michelin PS4Ss. I've run both as daily / autocross on my WRX. Liked the Indy 500s a bit better. I finally got a second set of wheels so now I have RE71s for autocross and am planning on giving Michelin AS3s a try for all-season performance daily driver use, but haven't used either of those yet. A buddy of mine loves is General G-Max all seasons on his STI.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've got Cooper Cs5's on my legendary wheels currently. They're a great all around tire and decent in the rain. They're not the best for the 450hp off my 331...

I'm just about to try out some mickey thompson ET streets in 235/60r15 on some 15x8 TTD's I was given.. Buddy had the Nittos on them previously and liked them.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Had anyone here tried those ‘looks like a bias ply’ radials on Classic Mustangs? The Goodyear Wide-Oval from Coker? They’re FR60-15 which roughly becomes 225-60 I think.
I run Pirelli Pzero on my non Mustang DD.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
like asking, what's your favorite ice cream?
Not really. Flavor is subjective based on taste, and different from person to person. Tire performance is objective and can be measured with a stop watch.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
About 1,500 miles ago installed Nitto NT555 G2 tires on my 69, replacing Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Big difference. The Nittos don't grip nearly as well on corners as the Michelins. They are noticeably looser and don't give the confidence of the Michelins. They do look a lot cooler in my opinion. So I got that going for me, such is nice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, that was a lot of differing opinions. The best tires in the world have Goodyear written all over them. My number one choice always.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
When I shop for tires the first thing I decide is what treadwear rating I want. <400 or >400.

Second thing is summer, winter, all season.

Third thing is appearance.

Fourth is brand

Fifth is price

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I pondered over a lot of tires before deciding on using Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. I really liked the tread pattern and their highest rating for summer dry weather tires-and very close to best in the wet category. They are also rated #1 overall by Tire Rack for Ultra Performance Summer Tires. They grip very well and provide a nice smooth and quiet ride. I can't think of any
1591296620564.png
reason to rate them anything less than exceptional.

Reactions: Thegundog
1 - 18 of 18 Posts