1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to improve my performance on my 289. I currently have:
650 4bbl Holley with vacuum secondaries
Edelbrock Performer 289 intake
289 Heads Ported and Polished with 1.90 intake and 1.60 exhaust, lite dual springs 135# on the seat, 285# open, (the heads are not screw-in studs, so max lift should be less than .525)
Cyclone Headers
Transmission - (either a C4 with shift kit and 2400-2800 stall, or AOD with shift kit and 2800 stall
Rear end - 8" t-loc with (if C4 3.25 gears, if AOD 3.73 gears)

I've been looking at a A312 Ford Motorsport Cam and a double timing chain. Any suggestions?

·
Vendor
5,304 Posts
I just installed a Comp Cam Magnum 270H. Along with porting my heads and adding long tubes and a Stealth intake, IT'S A ROCKET!

The best advice I can give is for you to call a cam manufacturer. They all have 800 numbers. Tell them the engine specs you have, or will have, trans, rear end etc, then tell them want you plan on using the car for. i.e. daily driver, track monster...

I did this and I beleive I got the best cam for my app...

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am using a Crane PowerMax cam and lifter kit #CRN-363902.

Specifications:
* Advertised duration: 260 intake/272 exhaust
* Duration at .050 in.: 204 intake/216 exhaust
* Gross Valve Lift: .456 in. intake/.484 in. exhaust
* Lobe separation: 112 degrees
* RPM range: 1,500 to 4,500
* Cruise RPM: 2,200-2,600
* Smooth idle, daily usage, off-road, towing, economy, also mild turbo-charged, 8.0 to 9.5:1 compression ratio
recommended.

I have a .030 over 289 with cast flat top pistons, performer intake, resurfaced stock heads with 1.78" intake valves, Crower springs, screw in studs with guideplates. Mild clean up port work with smog bumps removed in exhaust ports. JBA shorty headers with 2.25 inch dual exhaust. Road Demon carb 625cfm.

I have a C4 auto with 3.00 rear gear and stock torque converter.

Seat of the pants driving only, no dyno or 1/4 mile times.

It has great torque. No problems with the stock converter and 3.00 gear. It will pull hard from a stop. It will roast the tire with my open rear, shift into second and continue to roast. It pulls fair above 4000 rpm, but not like I expected. It doesn't really die off, but doesn't really pull any harder than it did at 3000 rpm.

The idle is smooth, not really any lope at all, well maybe just a tad sitting in gear with brake on. I have been pleased with it since I drive my car daily.

I can compare this setup to my brother in law's 66 coupe with a 302, performer RPM, edelbrock 600, headers, dual exhaust, stock heads and he had a cam that was 278 advertised duration. With his C4, stock converter, and 3.00 rear gear it seemed like it wouldn't really go until it was around 3000 rpm, then it would accelerate fairly hard and rev high, but it wasn't great for just tooling around town. His car did lope and sounded great next to mine. Mine just kind of purrs and his growled! haha. He couldn't break the tires loose from a stop without appling brake though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm using the A312 cam. See my profile below. It is awesome. But with your larger valves, you might be able to get by with a little more lift and possibly switch the intake to a Performer RPM. Call Crane or Comp Cams. They are the experts!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
One other note. Ask 66coupe289 about his setup. He just swapped the A312 to a different lift and grind, but I haven't heard the results. I'm curious.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Hey guys. I do like my current cam, but I have a steeper gear and a manual transmission. I frankly do not know if my car performs any better as I have no track or dyno results for either setup. There is not enough seat of the pants difference, plus I changed intakes too. Yada yada yada.

I would bet the tech lines will recommend a smaller cam, but I think you would be fine with the A312.

·
7,025 Posts
You need to talk to a cam manufacturer. Do a google search and find their tech line and tell them what you've told us. They'll know better than we do.

That being said, I'm running A Comp Cams Extreme Energy 262H which has .500 gross valve lift on the intake. My cam choices were limited by my tall (2.79) rearend, and the fact I'm running a C4.

Phil

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Here's the cam I currently have. Mind you I have a blower so the tight lobe separation angle helps keep the pressures down (more overlap). I have installed this exact cam in a friends normally aspirated car and it was real nice. We're running stock castings (ported and polished with big valves) and the Shelby intake.

Lunati PN 40699
Grind SPM2-232-240
Lift at valve .520 in. , .534 ex.
Duration @ 0.050 232deg in, 240deg ex.
Adv Dura 280deg in, 290deg ex.
Lobe seperation 108deg
In opens @ 10deg btdc, closes 42deg abdc
Ex. closes @ 10ATDC, opens 50deg BBDC

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with selecting a cam. It is darn hard to build cylinder perssure when the valves are always open! The more radical cams with wide duration (over 225 or so) and tight LAC (under 110) are better suited for high compression motors. Have fun /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
419 Posts
Cheapo Crane 278. Has 498 lift and is rated for 2200-5700rpm range. Car really pulls strong through the range, but really "gets on the pipe" above 3K. I run a 4 speed so idle quality isn't a big deal. It is a little rumpy. Best part is the price...really cheap. Claimer motor circle track guys told me it was one of the best cheap cams.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts