Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I set a budget of about 20 to 30 thousand, instead of buying a newer mustang, what can I do to my Mustang? Can I restomod it to make it a daily driver? Can I change my i6 to a 302? My goal is to have a daily driver that is reliable and fun. I would have this budget include labor as I don't believe I can do all of this myself because I don't have the tools or experience to take on a task this big. What can I do as I don't want a newer car as I feel they don't have the personality associated with classics, and I don't tend to see classic too often where I live. Also If I had a certain goal for hp and torque it would be between 250- 350 hp and around 200-300 lb-ft. Are numbers like this possible? Any advice would be great! Thanks :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Assuming you don’t need paint or interior, this is totally possible. Get a 302 crate motor (or 347 ), upgrade spindles, rear end, brakes, and some basic suspension and steering upgrades would be a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I'd spend that money on a car that is already done unless you want to go through the journey and nightmare that is restoration and upgrading. $30,000 will buy one sweet turn the key and drive, everything done, Mustang!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'd spend that money on a car that is already done unless you want to go through the journey and nightmare that is restoration and upgrading. $30,000 will buy one sweet turn the key and drive, everything done, Mustang!
This is a good point. I defaulted to doing your own because I love the process and that way you get everything just the way YOU want it... but if you aren’t particular or don’t love the process, you can buy a pretty sweet coupe for $20-$30k!

·
Registered
48 Posts
It depends on it's current condition but I think that budget would be plenty. V8 swapping i6s is common and wouldn't break the bank too much. As mentioned above spending that money on an already done one would be easy and sweet but there's nothing like building your own. A budget of 20-30 would be more than enough.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Agreed, sell your coupe and take the now $40k and get a done fastback unless there’s some emotional attachment to your present car.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
gt40P 500 bucks
T5 1500
8" with TracLok 1000
Welder 400
Wheels tires 600-800
Front disk kit 800
suspension kit
roller perches 200
springs 90
shocks 200-400
send me the rest of the $$$

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Assuming you don’t need paint or interior, this is totally possible. Get a 302 crate motor (or 347 ), upgrade spindles, rear end, brakes, and some basic suspension and steering upgrades would be a good start.

Yep don't need paint and interior already done, like new. So I can allocate straight to performance.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Agreed, sell your coupe and take the now $40k and get a done fastback unless there’s some emotional attachment to your present car.
Shake and Bake, exactly.........invest and drive a Fastback. Investing that much money in an I6, when you go to sell, you are going to lose a lot of money you just put into that car. In addition, while you may now have a V8, having an I6 VIN is going to hurt its value. I know it is most likley not an investment for you, unless you have deep pockets and money is not an issue, I personally wold have to factor the investment into this project. I think you can find some very nice V8 hardtops for $20,000.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking at that idea too, but this one means a lot as it was my first car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a good point. I defaulted to doing your own because I love the process and that way you get everything just the way YOU want it... but if you aren’t particular or don’t love the process, you can buy a pretty sweet coupe for $20-$30k!

Yea, because I want the car to be MY car with my ideas of what I want.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It depends on it's current condition but I think that budget would be plenty. V8 swapping i6s is common and wouldn't break the bank too much. As mentioned above spending that money on an already done one would be easy and sweet but there's nothing like building your own. A budget of 20-30 would be more than enough.
With that in mind time to start looking at possible build I want. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was looking at that idea too, but this one means a lot as it was my first car.
I hear what others are saying (I love fastbacks) and it is totally true. But my uncle once told me that every car guy he knows wishes they hadn’t sold their first car... my V8 coupe used to be an I6 too, but I bought it with my own money when I was 17 and I have no plans to sell it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the problem, I have memories with that car as it is my first car.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I hear what others are saying (I love fastbacks) and it is totally true. But my uncle once told me that every car guy he knows wishes they hadn’t sold their first car... my V8 coupe used to be an I6 too, but I bought it with my own money when I was 17 and I have no plans to sell it!
The funny thing is my uncle told me the same thing. That's probably why I still have my first vehicle purchased back in 1995, my 68 c10. Actually my fastback I'm restoring now was purchased by my parents the year before I bought that C10. My dad and I never got around to restoring the mustang back then, so now it's mine and I have the time and money to do it. When I'm done, I'll sort of have 'another' my first vehicle because the mustang was my idea to purchase back then!

Definitely keep that first car. Do what you want, have fun, and never sell it! Resell value doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Make it reliable, make it safe and drive it. If it was your first car then leave it as is.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Its just a car.

If you spend 20k on a car that someone has put 30k into, thats a good deal for you.
If it were me, i would keep the 64.5 and keep it as original as possible, Spend a couple hundred every month or two detailing and replacing non-original parts.
Spend the 20-30k on a car that you can drive every day with modern safety features and amenities.

Reactions: DrHawkeye
1 - 20 of 29 Posts