Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank of fuel in my tank. I need to install a new fuel sender but I don't know what I can put the fuel in. I have some plastic buckets but I'm not sure if the fuel will get messed up by using plastic. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I jacked my rear end up enough to get a low profile plastic gas can under it and ran a hose with funnel to it from the drain in the front right corner. I wouldn't use any open containers, you're just asking for a spark/fire with that much gas fumes going everywhere. Easy enough to store then or dump in your DD. If you're guessing 1/4-1/2 tank that's 4-8gals. at most, you may need 2 tanks. They're not much at wallyworld or borrow some from neighbors (lawm mower use).
Jon

Yes 5 gallon plastic buckets will be fine.
Why drain the fuel?
How's he going to remove the sending unit with fuel in it and not get doused in gas?

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Wally World 5 gal. gas cans and a quick hand to switch if the first gets full. :pirate:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel like saying "duh" about the plastic considering I have a small plastic can for my lawn mower. Sometimes the brain just doesn't work.

Great point about open fumes with the bucket. Not really worth risking. I'll be sure to use a funnel as well.

Looks like I'll be purchasing a couple 5 gal cans.

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Thinking 2 steps ahead with the wide buckets, how would you pour it back in without spilling all over also? Get the gas cans and put the caps on until it's time to refill.
Jon

·
Registered
637 Posts
Why get so complicated??

You can get a cheap gas pump (has a hand-operated pump on the side) at most auto stores, Northern Tool, even Amazon.com. I use one all the time to transfer diesel from barrels into my truck. Those pumps are less than $20. Park another car right beside the Mustang and just transfer the fuel from the Mustang to another car. Easy and safe.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Just replaced the one in a GT/CS I bought recently. About 1/4+ full.

Jacked up the front end and put it on my jackstands as high as they would go. Disconnected the hose.... no dribble...

Pulled the unit, felt the level of the gas, about 1" below the edge of the sender. Put in the new one, reconnected, dropped the front end. Done.

Drive it a couple times to get it down to 1/4 or less, saves the minor hassle of draining refilling....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Why get so complicated??

You can get a cheap gas pump (has a hand-operated pump on the side) at most auto stores, Northern Tool, even Amazon.com. I use one all the time to transfer diesel from barrels into my truck. Those pumps are less than $20. Park another car right beside the Mustang and just transfer the fuel from the Mustang to another car. Easy and safe.
I second this idea. I've got a 6 gallon gas can I use to transfer fuel into for just this sort of task. With the little hand pump, I can suck all the fuel out of the tank so that all that drips from the sender is what little is in the line between the tank and the pump, mabe half a coffee cup worth. No mess. Very little fume. When done its easy to put fuel back in the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts