Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a box full of stuff that was in dad's basement and this Rally Pac is one of the them. He gave me his 64.5 d code convertible 289 4 speed that I'm restoring, would this be the correct rally pac for my car?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
well dang... guess it would look good on my brother's 66 fastback.
Any idea what it's worth?
It's actually a '65 pac- the 66's had a curved center bar that made clearance for the speedo.
I bought an original '65 complete with all the uncut wiring for 8,000rpm a few years ago for $400. I think you can get repops now from $375-500

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yep, as Smitten and gt350sr mentioned, that is the '65 style for use with the "Falcon-style" bar speedo.

On the '66 (or for GT '65 cars), the gauges sit higher.

Here's a repro version that sells for $500. Looks like it is in great shape, and I believe that should work with your 64.5 just perfectly.
Mustang 'Ford' Rally Pac 8000 Rpm 1964-1965

·
Registered
34,243 Posts
I have a box full of stuff that was in dad's basement and this Rally Pac is one of the them. He gave me his 64.5 d code convertible 289 4 speed that I'm restoring, would this be the correct rally pac for my car?
Yes, that is absolutely the concours correct Rally Pac for a 1965 D code Mustang.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yep, as Smitten and gt350sr mentioned, that is the '65 style for use with the "Falcon-style" bar speedo.

On the '66 (or for GT '65 cars), the gauges sit higher.

Here's a repro version that sells for $500. Looks like it is in great shape, and I believe that should work with your 64.5 just perfectly.
Mustang 'Ford' Rally Pac 8000 Rpm 1964-1965
The 66 Low profile pac sits LOWER on the column so you can see the Speedo in the 5 gauge cluster. He needs the 6k tach also, not the Hipo 8k you show.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My bad on the higher vs. lower. It always looked to me like the later Rally Pacs sit slightly higher and wider- the different mountings must play tricks with the eye.

As for the 6k vs. 8k, I was merely showing a pic of the style that matches his.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Rally pac

I guess you've figured out it's the early style- 64-5. I prefer them over the "Starship Enterprise" look of the 66's. My 64 convert has this one and the 65 K GT FB has the 8K one.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,243 Posts
My bad on the higher vs. lower. It always looked to me like the later Rally Pacs sit slightly higher and wider- the different mountings must play tricks with the eye.
The high/low refers to the center bar. The low was required when the 5-gauge cluster came out. The center of the high style doesn't just block the lower part of the round speedo, it hits it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This rally pac was in working condition when thrown in the "the box" so I'll give it a shot ( I even like the worn "vintage" look that it has). Thanks for the replies, this forum is truly unbelievable in the wealth of knowledge available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts