Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm getting rid of my holley double pump and looking to go a different route? Any recommendations for my set up? I cruise around town and like to haul ass from time to time but not racing. Street avenger? Demon? EFI kit? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
What’s wrong with the Holley? What size is it?
Double pump for an AOD not ideal.

Something rated around 600 cfm with vacuum secondaries. Holley, Summit and Edelbrock all have their fans.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I’d get a Summit carb 600 Vacuum Secondary. EFI a whole different game. I’m all for it but it’s not cheap

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much should I spend on a new carb, or should I really look at the efi kit from Holley.. more $$$ obviously. weighing pros vs cons

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
if you like the holley, i'd get a street avenger 570

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hello,

I'm getting rid of my holley double pump and looking to go a different route? Any recommendations for my set up? I cruise around town and like to haul ass from time to time but not racing. Street avenger? Demon? EFI kit? Thanks!
Keep the carb and change to 3.73 or 4.11 gears and a 4 speed.. or keep the automatic and go EFI with a little turbo

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
the double pump holley. I bought new years ago at a speed shop. Now I want to see what other directions I can go based on opinions.
Which 4 bbl carb is like asking which 4 door car to buy. LOTS of options, many based on preference.

I think the vast majority of people would agree to get something that does not exceed 600 cfm and has vacuum secondaries for a street automatic.

This goes through the differences in carb brands:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Abe, the carb you want is a Holley 4010 or the Summit version thereof or a 1.12 Autolite 4100. All of these are 'shoebox' carbs, well designed and generally trouble free. LSG

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,028 Posts
I put a 500 cfm Edelbrock on my wife's 302 some 15 years ago when she was driving it everyday. Still on there, I still like it and wouldn't change it.
I was never big on using a double pumper with a streetable automatic. I think they work better with a manual transmission or a "race built" sort of automatic. It's probably easiest switching to another Holley so you don't have to change your whole setup.
With either, AOD operation is enhanced with a "TC corrector" that fits on the linkage. You have to pick a Holley or Edelbrock though. Or be goofy like me and just by a corrector for each.
If the field's wide open, a rack of Webers is pretty darn cool. Not sure how you'd hook an AOD's TV linkage to that. Where there's a will there's a way though. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put a 500 cfm Edelbrock on my wife's 302 some 15 years ago when she was driving it everyday. Still on there, I still like it and wouldn't change it.
I was never big on using a double pumper with a streetable automatic. I think they work better with a manual transmission or a "race built" sort of automatic. It's probably easiest switching to another Holley so you don't have to change your whole setup.
With either, AOD operation is enhanced with a "TC corrector" that fits on the linkage. You have to pick a Holley or Edelbrock though. Or be goofy like me and just by a corrector for each.
If the field's wide open, a rack of Webers is pretty darn cool. Not sure how you'd hook an AOD's TV linkage to that. Where there's a will there's a way though. :)
Thanks. I haven’t been a fan of this double pump. It’s hard to tune and get it just right with the 302

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I figured out the carb I have now.

80783-1

1 - 20 of 28 Posts