Vintage Mustang Forums banner

What cars had the long consoles?

585 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  bburns31
My 66 gt fastback has one of those long consoles in it. allegedly it was originally a manual transmission swapped to an auto. Would this be correct? Could any car have it?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,975 Posts
In 65/66 the difference between the long and short consoles was if the car had ac it had a short console, if it did not it had a long one.

The difference in length was under the dash.

· Registered
8,193 Posts
The console was part of an option package available with any Mustang. As said above the console was cut short only to fit the optional under-dash A/C unit. The manual and Auto consoles were identical except for the plate over the shifter.

· Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Adding to the thread. Convertibles have a single piece seat riser with two humps along the center tunnel, so their consoles have a different contour along their base. Coupe and fastback center consoles can be cut and trimmed to fit convertibles. Center consoles for 65 and 66 cars with air conditioning are nearly identical, except for the end cap trim which are different between the two years. Also, cars equipped with a factory bench seat could not be optioned with the center console.

· Registered
4,901 Posts
It is my understanding too, that if the air was a dealer added option, the long console was cut to fit. Mine looked like somebody crossed their eyes for good luck and hacked away.

· Registered
8,193 Posts
It is my understanding too, that if the air was a dealer added option, the long console was cut to fit. Mine looked like somebody crossed their eyes for good luck and hacked away.
They all started as long and were hand cut which is why they need the end cap.

· Registered
3,534 Posts
Reactions: South 66

· Registered
8,193 Posts
Reactions: South 66

· Registered
8,193 Posts
Yes all of the 66 consoles were the same (sifter insert, casting colors and long and shirt versions aside) there were a number of differences in the 64 1/2-65 versions
Very interesting to learn. I have never heard that before. Is there a good way to identify one of the early versions?

· Registered
89 Posts
Very interesting to learn. I have never heard that before. Is there a good way to identify one of the early versions?

There were changes from the early to the later like

Automatic shift bezel/plate. Smooth no raised "bumps" or arrows to ones with.
Automatic shifter plastic shift indicator plate/lens from no red arrows to ones with arrows
Rear lamp housing from to chrome vacuum plated plastic to chrome metal.

Think there are a couple of other little details that are not visible once installed.

When comparing 65-66 you also have the location of the "glove box" light, the light holder and the related wiring.

Related thread on the Concours site

64 1/2 through 66 Console Features and Differences

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Yes all of the 66 consoles were the same (sifter insert, casting colors and long and shirt versions aside) there were a number of differences in the 64 1/2-65 versions
what do you mean about casting colors?

My San Jose July built 65 console was made in a Palomino color. It is not painted or dyed when I purchased the car over 30 years ago.

I’m quite sure I was the first to remove it from the car in early 90’s…heater core replacement.

· Registered
8,193 Posts
There were changes from the early to the later like

Automatic shift bezel/plate. Smooth no raised "bumps" or arrows to ones with.
Automatic shifter plastic shift indicator plate/lens from no red arrows to ones with arrows
Rear lamp housing from to chrome vacuum plated plastic to chrome metal.

Think there are a couple of other little details that are not visible once installed.

When comparing 65-66 you also have the location of the "glove box" light, the light holder and the related wiring.

Related thread on the Concours site

64 1/2 through 66 Console Features and Differences
I knew about the change in the light position, but not the others. Always nice to learn new things!

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Could you explain the differences?

I would like to know for my own curiosity.

Appreciate it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts