Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To install a 429 in a 351W body (of a 69 Mach 1)? What things should be taken care of to protect the chassis from twist and to ensure the engine is secure in there?

------------------------------
1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code )
1978 Ghia V8

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I would imagine the 429 mounts from a '70 would work....

You'll probably need to do some shock tower mods and re-inforcement...

Subframe connectors would be helpful...

If you're thinking of racing the car, I'd consider a roll bar/cage with front supports...it really ties the car together....

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pat, well I'm considering this since its looking like my swap with the guy in Manitoba will not go through, so I'm hunting once again for a nice 351W or just going to drop the 429 in the mach .... I have a friend whos really good with EFI conversions and installs, so if theres someone out there with a nice 88 + EFI that is interstedd in a swap the help would be appreciated ... esp. if its a roller engine ...

BTW you know if a 5 spd from an 85 stang would work with a 351W? A guy is parting out his 5.0 locally here ...

1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code )
1978 Ghia V8

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I imagine the trans would work with the W...snag it if it's cheap...

It'll just be a matter of getting all the right parts to mate the innards (clutch, etc) up...bellhousing will bolt right on the W...

Remember, you won't have much wiggle room in the HP dept with a stock T5....keep that in mind when developing the combination...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
if you do plan on swapping them can i have the 351w? been looking for a good one for a while!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts