Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to get tar and road crap off you finish? While your at it, how recommending a good hand wax?

Thanks.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Tar is tough. I've used gasoline on a rag to get it off before, there may be something better, but I haven't found it. Hot soapy water, use dishwashing liquid, and a rag, an old cotton t-shirt, should get everything else off. McGuire's makes good wax and polish stuff.

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Simple green is great stuff too, especially for engine compartments.

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
For tar I use wax and grease remover. Buy it by the gallon from a real automotive shop (one that sells paint). A gallon is about 8 bucks. People use it as a wipedown cleaner prior to painting. It does not hurt your paint.

Handwax I can't really saw much as there are so many out there. For carshows where durability is unimportant, use "butterwax". I use Meguiars for street use.

"If you're under control you aren't going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones

·
Registered
6,070 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Camachinist recommended Hotsy Ripper and some of their other products. Put it in your search engine and you'll get there. They have some other detergents too and most work with hot water, the hotter the better. I went to their site requested information the last time Pat mentioned it and still haven't received my catalog and I'm ready to order. :>(

'67 A-Code Coupe
'68 C-Code Coupe (SWMBO's)
'86 SVO 1D
'86 SVO 2A
[email][email protected] [/Email]

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Turtle wax bug, tar and tree sap remover. Kleen-Strip rust converter(wonderful stuff). Simple green for cleaning up greasy parts. B 12 will take just about anything off that Simple Green misses including your skin. NEVER spray this stuff on your crotch. Not a good thing. Stripeeze for unpainting. Mothers wheel polish for the Weld Draglites. Mothers carnuba wax. Black Magic to try and preserve whats left of my very old black paint job. Orange GoJo? for cleaning the hands. Sheesh, I'm not an old car restorer, I'm a chemist.

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/
http://members.aol.com/macstang/Gifs/macstang6.jpg
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by hottarod on 03/10/01 10:50 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got some of this stuff but I was afraid to put it on good paint--if I water it down it'l be OK though huh? I know it is a great degreaser.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, you opened a can or worms, I think you should tell the Forum why you shouldn't spray Simple Green on your crotch. Could be a doofus in there for you.

J. Boggs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts