Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just pulled a 5 speed from a 86 gt. the tranny is in great shape but the clutch is worn down and i cant use the 50 oz flywheel. what is the best and strongest clutch for a 19year old? and is there a certain brand that anyone prefers for a flywheel?
thanks
eLrOy ::

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Either the 10.4" or 11" depending on your engine power. Remember the T5 from an '86 can handle about 260 HP so the 10.4" should work well. I use Qualitee clutch sets because they hold the power (I have around 300 HP running through and 11" clutch set, got the flywheel from a 400 CI truck but it is balanced at 28 OZ) and can be ordered with a diaphram pressure plate which your right leg will love!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right now i dont have any major motor upgrades. i plan on gt40 heads and comp roller valve train and cam. should i worry about blowing t his tranny in the future? so any 10.4 or 11" clutch? is the center force clutch set good? as well as the centerforce flywheel?

·
Registered
21,335 Posts
I'd stick with the 10.5". Running an 11" disc is more mass for the synchronizers to handle. In addition, the T5 is going to be the weak link in the chain. The finger type Borg & Beck style has more clamping pressure then a diaphram but harder on your left leg. If you keep the clutch on the more moderate side, it'll act as a safety for the T5. If you plan on dumping the clutch a lot and doing burn outs, go for a toploader 4 speed. ::

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Ford Racing King Cobra clutch and an appropriate Ford flywheel, or a 5.0Mustang unit reweighted to 28oz. Nice, cheap, and durable. The 400M flywheel that VictorII mentions is something worth looking into. If a factory Ford flywheel from something will do the trick, Autozone can hook you up for about $100, and the KC clutch is about $140 from Summit.
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I think if you are somewhat careful on rolling out, limiting burn outs and then ensure that you don't miss a shift, you might be ok with the '86 T5. When i did my conversion, I called Ford SVO (or SVT, I forget) and they confirmed to HP/Torque of the earlier vs. later T5s. For the record, I noticed no difference in the 10.4" vs the 11" flywheels relative to the weight difference. I just wanted more holdinging space. The same starter, etc. works. I had a Centerforce II I installed during that build up and was not happy with it. The local Mustang shop was not happy with them either. Like me, they had trouble with the weights flying off and chatter. The Qualitiee unit works quite well. Let us know how it goes. Oh, and be sure to use a roller bearing in the rear of the crank. The bushing will wear faster and you'll end up with chatter.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I used 88' T-5 with the stock flywheel on my A-code. Lost a few clutches until I replaced it with Centerforce. On one of the mustang magazines they mention that if you want to light up the tires, stick with the heavier larger flywheel. If your not tearing up the streets you can go with a light bullitt wheel from Centerforce. I would also go with a cable clutch and later bellhousing instead of the adapter plate and heavy linkage. Your left leg will love you for it and you won't have to worry about a loose plate.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am using the bellhousing from the tranny as well. is cable better than mechanical? so the centerforce clutch is no good but the centerforce flywheel is good? what about the centerforce II? i am new to alot of these products and companies.
thans
eLrOy

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I use a stock, 6-bolt bell housing on an early 302 with a spacer. It is all easy to modify and if you keep the Z-bar lubed, it is smooth. People here have lots of preferences, and I understand that cable is just fine. I just don't know all that much about it. The stock flywheel from the 400 truck engine is what I use. They are the same size, just drilled diffrently to accept an 11" clutch set. I also have flywheel that I am prepping for the next engine that will (hopefully) go in over the holidays. I have 166,000 miles or so on this build. Except for the Centerforce product, it's been all good. Who knows, it might have been defective, but others have had bad experiences, too. From experience, I recommend a diaphram pressure plate as I mentioned. Since you are near stock, you can likely use a stock rated unit. I like Qualitee. But make sure that it is a good clutch set and that you have the pressure plate balanced or at least checked for balance at an engine shop. It is not fun to have to keep pulling them out until you get a good one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts