Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear springs went IN okay with a little extra effort. MANY thanks to all who provided Tips. Now I was thinking of using the Satin finish <i forget the #> Kraylon black for the transaxle. Is there something better that I should use. I already Preped the surface with WHAT I had in the garage namely Rustoleum glossy black. It looks okay but I am sure to catch "heck" from others who look under the car. So I am prepared to dull the shiny finish DOWN and spray over with the proper black paint lustre. The question is- WHICH black paint to use? many thanks to all .

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Eastwood's Chassis Black is what I used, has just the right amount of gloss.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The third member is red oxide. You are correct.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Since you've already started with Rustoleum, I suggest you finish it with the same. I like Rustoleum's 7777 satin black. The reason I suggest you stick with Rustoleum paint is that until it is FULLY (and I mean fully!) cured, covering it with another manufacturer's paint will cause "crazing" and lifting.

Go to this site to see what a properly-painted Ford 9-inch (or 8, for that matter) should look like:
http://www.hipomustang.com/images/under/

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Second the motion on the Rustoleum 7777 Satin Black. You can use it and the Gloss Black in combination to vary the glossiness. I found an old Mustang Monthly that mentioned how various chassis parts were glossier than others. For instance, coil springs were very glossy, LCA and UCA were semi-gloss, and stabilizer bars were in-between.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts