Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my replacement 3-speed separated from the tail housing and all cleaned of grime. Now it has a natural layer of surface rust that needs to go!. I'm not looking for concours... what color would look good? I figure a coat of primer and then... Ford Blue to match the engine and bellhousing? Maybe black... maybe a natural grey...

The tail housing I'm going to leave clean. I thought about polishing but that's too much work for something that's just going to be coated with crud in a week.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I painted my tranny ford blue to match. I think it looks great, really great. That is my recomendation, as long as your not going for concours.

G

·
0 Posts
I did my engine trans setup black and blue. Blue water pump, black timing cover, blue block/heads, black bellhousing, and blue trans. Valve covers are black with an open air filter. Looks rather nice, not over done but a nice contrast.
Also keep in mind where oil may end up on future seal failures. Black tends to clean up better but can also hide leaks to an untrained eye. But it still looks decent on a daily driver that sees some major use.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after some thinking last night (even dreamt about it.. much to SWMBO's disgust) it will be Ford Blue. That will make everything match from the front to the tail housing, and if I should ever be able to get under the car, make for easier cleanup compared to a flat "metal" or black finish.

Thanks for the inputs!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts