Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order POR-15 to coat the undercarriage, floors, trunk, engine compartment, etc.

I was thinking of gray POR-15 w/ a black top-coat.
Would it be better to use black POR-15 w/ a black top-coat?

What color /combos do you use?

Any advice?

Thanks all.

Eric

·
Registered
680 Posts
I used the black POR-15 with the frame black over it....

G

·
0 Posts
Doing the same thing right now. At the point of removing all the undercarriage stuffage. I plan to wire brush, wheel, degrease, and so on. I do not have significant rust problems, but will confirm obviously.

My plan is to first cover with Silver. Supposed to have additional filler in the Silver color. So it's not just a color change, but physical properties as well. Then I will come over top of that with Chasis Black top coat. Mine is a '66 Dearborn car, and I am of the belief that black was the color used in that plant. Other plants used a red oxide color. I am not a concours wealth of knowledge, so if color is important to you, verify elsewhere.

One of the details I have not yet sorted out, is what prep is required between coats. I have heard that you need to scuff the first coat. I have also heard that scuffing can be a PITA. However, I also heard that if the time between coats is short that scuffing is not required. I plan to confirm this with the POR guys via phone. I have also been looking at their "six pack" packaging. More expensive, but allows you to open up only what you plan on using, as the stuff has a short pot life.

BT

G

·
0 Posts
I used Silver and Black. That way I could see if I missed anywhere on the second coat. You have to mix the silver up really good. it had a thicker paste at the bottom of my cans. I purchase a 6 pack 3 silver and 3 black. That did all of my interior.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
If, like me, you stripped a little and then coated a little, definitely use the 6-pack. I wound up throwing away about a quart in total from two quart cans. The little 6-pack cans are a much better bargain in the long run.

I used POR-15 black with their chassis coat black as a topcoat.

Frank

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
I am in the process of doing this now, I am using black on the floors, & chasis black on the engine compartment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts