Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost ready to paint the engine bay. Lot of time getting everything prepped!
Is there a website out there that listes the proper colors for parts like the steering box, master cylinder etc? Otherwise everything is going to be Krylon flat black and I think that might be too monotonous.

·
Registered
21,143 Posts
I've always found engine compartments painted the same as the body very appealing myself, especialy if the car is modified. Besides, a nice glossy color will clean up easily.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Yeah, you don't want matte black. It will get dirty and stay that way because of the rough surface. If you go with Krylon rattle cans use the satin black. It best approximates the original finish from the factory. I have to agree that, since your car is a restomod, you aren't limited to factory colors for the engine compartment. I know some people who have a Royal Maroon Mach 1 that has an engine compartment done in a deep (almost black) metallic maroon. It just glints maroon when the sun hits it. Looks great.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Since you have a highly coucours correct car :)D) you should get a MCA judges manual. I believe it has all the correct colors.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Why not chrome the engine compartment panels? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I've actually seen it done, and it does look nice, although a little gaudy.

Krylon 1613 is the rattlecan color that is typically recommended to match the original Ford black satin. Available at all fine Wallymarts.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Midlife, I've got that chrome don't make it go faster syndrome.
I suppose it all started when I got rid of the steel bumpers, or maybe it was that open can of racing fuel that was laying around for a while /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

JohnZ, Do you know where I can get an MCA book? It would be interesting to checkout, actually. Not much would apply to my car of course, but it would be informative to say the least.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I agree with JohnZ, nothing funny about it. There are also Restoration Guides available that give the proper finishes.
Look in the lit. section of a MU catalog or vendor of your choosing.

Dang Midlife, it takes me forever to read your posts! Can't figure it out! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drew,

That would be great!
You're definitely someone who needs that book with your 64 1/2.
Are you on the west or east side?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Krylon 1613. That's the ticket. It is easy to work with, forgiving and widely available.

Spending lots of time in the engine bay sanding and filling low spot welds, etc take away track time. Bury the engine compartment with the Krylon 1613 and and get back out on the damn track!/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

and get back out on the damn track!

<hr></blockquote>

LOL - good point Steve!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts