Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I have a 1968 Mustang that I'm doing a nut and bolt restoration on and would like your opinions on what color to paint it. It is an all original car. The car was originally Seafoam Green (lighter version) which I like but I also like the (darker version) Highland Green. I don't think the color change will affect the value much since it's not a high dollar car anyway. The following two photos are of what the car is currently (the original color) and what it would be if I changed it. What color do you guys think would appeal to more buyers and does either shy people away. I personally like both. Thanks for your opinions.

Seafoam Green Version

Highland Green Version

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I like the original color, a lot, definitely don't see many in that color. The highland green is obviously more popular on the fastbacks. In terms or resale (because it's not a fastback) I don't think either color would appeal to a wide pool of buyers, but the right person will come along that "has to have that color." When I was buying my car, I wouldn't even look at red cars because "most of 'em are red" but I like to be different.

What's wrong with the paint now? Is it a 10 footer because it looks pretty darn good in that pic.

Reactions: Surfpozer

·
Registered
44 Posts
My preference would be the Seafoam Green. It is the car's original color and it looks great when properly applied. Also, it is rarely seen compared to the Highland Green. Most Mustangs this color were repainted a different color in the past when the owners tired of the green. It's a treat now to see one as it looked when new.
The value of the Mustang probably would not be affected much by either color choice, but originality would have to be an asset to someone interested in the car.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's wrong with the paint now? Is it a 10 footer because it looks pretty darn good in that pic.
The paint is all original, but someone touched it up. There are a couple spots that are chipped along the door and hod edges. Also on the doors near the bottom towards the front, it has a couple spots that are starting to bubble. The front windshield and backglass weather stripping is showing its age. The car is really clean everywhere else. It was a garage kept southern car and other than the spots on the doors, its all original and a rust free car. The under body, trunk, wheel wells, etc... are beautiful. It has the original drive train (302 J-Code C4). The Marti report says it has a Challenge Package, whatever that is. I want to get it back to "show room new condition", is why I'm redoing it.

·
Registered
35,223 Posts
My preference would be the Seafoam Green. It is the car's original color and it looks great when properly applied. Also, it is rarely seen compared to the Highland Green. Most Mustangs this color were repainted a different color in the past when the owners tired of the green. It's a treat now to see one as it looked when new.
The value of the Mustang probably would not be affected much by either color choice, but originality would have to be an asset to someone interested in the car.
I'm with him. ^

P

·
0 Posts
Look, it's your decision. It's all your decision. Paint colors are personal, don't listen to what otrhers think, IMO. But I can verify to you that the value of your car is not going to be effected by the color, but by the quality of the paint. So do what you feel fits you best and be happy with it.

. . I like Highland green, but don't listen to me :)

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
If I had listened to my daughter , one of my '66 fastbacks would be 'rainbow with purple polka dots in it'....

I convinced my Dad that his '65 Galaxie fb would look stellar in gloss black- not it's current turquois green. 4 years later the car still looks absolutely gorgeous... and he still makes comments under his breath on how good it would have looked again in turquois!

Like Pete said- YOUR car, YOUR choice. Don't squirt some color on it that 'everyone else' thinks it should be- use what color YOU like. When anyone tells you a different color would have looked better- tell them to go pound sand!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I am a strong advocate of painting old cars the color they born with. So... make that one more vote for Seafoam green

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
im a purest. i like original. whatever it is that's the color it should be impo

so SF green gets my vote

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
The paint is all original, but someone touched it up. There are a couple spots that are chipped along the door and hod edges. Also on the doors near the bottom towards the front, it has a couple spots that are starting to bubble. The front windshield and backglass weather stripping is showing its age. The car is really clean everywhere else. It was a garage kept southern car and other than the spots on the doors, its all original and a rust free car. The under body, trunk, wheel wells, etc... are beautiful. It has the original drive train (302 J-Code C4). The Marti report says it has a Challenge Package, whatever that is. I want to get it back to "show room new condition", is why I'm redoing it.

I don't know if others are just glossing over your post... but you could really be hurting the cars value if it really is the original paint. Original paint cars are in high demand across the board right now (all makes/models). I would look into finding a place that does "paint restoration" to see if they can repair the damaged areas you mentioned.

Reactions: TraciInTexas

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
If you truly have a "Challenger Special", I'd do whatever it takes to keep it as original and unmolested as possible.

"The Mustang Challenger Special was a Mississippi, dealer modified Seafoam Green hardtops 289ci V8 (4 speed manual) or 302ci V8 (3 speed manual), and Shelby intakes and a special 4118 Holley carburetor. To keep the cars light and fast they had no power options (no power steering, power brakes or A/C). There were about 21 with a 302ci V8 and a few with the 289ci V8. The 302ci, 3-speed, Challenger Special VIN numbers have been isolated to 8F01J193649-70 with DSO of 64 New Orleans where the intakes and carburetors were changed out. Similar models were offered by other dealers across the nation but promoted differently."

P

·
0 Posts
I don't know if others are just glossing over your post... but you could really be hurting the cars value if it really is the original paint. Original paint cars are in high demand across the board right now (all makes/models). I would look into finding a place that does "paint restoration" to see if they can repair the damaged areas you mentioned.
There is no proof to this, as a matter of fact, there is proof the other way. As I posted, his car will not be hurt by using another Mustang color. If it was a rare model, different story.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts