Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a couple of opinions on this, some say install the engine and get it running (no leaks or problems) then have the car painted, while others say get the body painted first and then drop the engine in.

Getting the body painted will generate alot of dust and overspray which would get into the engine compartment, but dropping the engine in without having to worry about messing up the paint would be nice.

Any advice, personal experiences, etc. with this subject?

TIA
Jim K.
70 R code SCJ

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Totally a preference thing. In our '65 project right now, we plan to drop the engine in before paint, since it's in the driveway, and that way we can drive it in and out of the garage. If this project was being done in the garage (can't, there's already 2 mustangs in there *LOL*), I'd paint first, then drop the engine.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I assume you're not talking about painting the engine bay.....I think it would me nice to be able to drive the car to and from the paint shop especially if you don't have a way to get it there. With the fenders and front end off the car I don't see how overspray would be a big problem. Most restorations I've seen paint the car first then drop the engine in. Just drop the engine in without the fenders on it, and put the fenders back on when the engine is running...

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Both of our Mustangs were painted after the engine compartment was done and the fenders and hood put back on the car. The restorer "slimed" the engine bay to protect it from overspray. After he was done painting the car, he sprayed Windex on the slime to soften it up, then rinsed it away. Voila!, no overspray in the engine compartment.

BP
1969 Mach 1
1965 A-Code Convertible

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I vote engine first then paint. I'm doing this with my '65 garage shelf since I can't paint the car myself, I'll need to have to move it to the paint shop - and it's easier if it ran rather than if I had to get it towed and the tower could bang up the paint after it's painted.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
I had my car painted when the engine was out. Of course I was very scared to put the engine back in and do the other work when the car was already painted.
I did end up scratching some engine bay paint , but that can be easily fixed. I still would do it the way I did though.

test

G

·
I'm doing the engine and all mechanical side first, suspension, brakes, steering and transmission, once they are all done I will take it to the painters shop. I have my 2 children helping? me so it saves the paint being scratched.

Tim Russell
Sale, Victoria, Australia

67 Convertible

·
Registered
655 Posts
I had mine primed & ready for the final color then colored the engine bay,door jams,under hood,boot(luggage compartment)inside doors & all the fiddly bits.Installed the engine,scratched the 2 pack in the process! & when the final color was laid,buffed out the minor damage.My painter would have done the job either way(engine in or out) but with a clear engine bay it was easier for him & a lot less masking up when painting the body.
I preferred the thought of damaging uncolored fenders when reaching into the engine bay with all those tools!
Greg

Never go into a Battle of Wits Unarmed!

Regards From the Great South Land.

G

·
If this is a full restoration, then I'd suggest painting first. If not, then do the engine and keep up with the rust!

Thanks,

Mike
'66 Springtime Yellow Coupe
289, slightly warmed over
driven daily

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've done it both ways and I prefer to put the engine in first and mask off the engine compartment.But I have installed an engine in one that had already been painted and what I did was use 4 large moving quilts that you can rent from any U-haul or Ryder rental place to cover the fenders and engine bay. They were soft enough that they didn't scratch the paint and thick enough to protect the fenders from any light bumps or scrapes. I hope this helps you out.Scott

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts