Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the most it will hold is about 10 gallons. I ran out of gas a few months back. It happened to be while warming up in the driveway before I went on a short 50 mile trip, so I put gas in from a 5 gallon gas can, drove to the convenience store and filled up. Like a dummy, I didn't pay attention to how many gallons it took to fill it up, but in thinking about it later, it seems like it was only about 2 gallons out of the can, and about 8 gallons at the gas pump.

To exacerbate the situation, my fuel gauge only measures about half a tank when full, and about a quarter tank when empty (that I do remember, as I was surprised when it ran out of gas).

So, what's the deal, do you suppose?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, I should qualify that, because obviously a 16 gallon tank will hold apx that, but maybe, perhaps, before it is actually full, the gasoline backs up for some reason and overflows.

edit: for the record, I replaced the tank with a new one about a yr ago, and before I started getting this car road worthy again.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
if the gas is hot or its one a them weird nozzles it will keep clicking whe about half way. neither half full nor half empty just halfway !!! it takes quite a few minutes to gat the last 5 or so gallons in my pickup truck cause the nozzle just keeps a clickin !

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Fill it slow, take your time, and you may get better results.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
If the sender/pick up doesn't reach the bottom of the tank you'll "run out" when it's not empty.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
If the sender/pick up doesn't reach the bottom of the tank you'll "run out" when it's not empty.
now that sounds like one a my corn on the cobb jokes !!!:shocked::shocked::shocked::loco::loco::shaking::shaking::shrug::shrug::shocked:

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
True. If the "sock" is missing or damaged, or if the tube is bent, you won't get all the gas. Does your tank have a drain plug?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Supershifter. Ever owned or drove one of the classic vintage beatles? They didn't have a fuel gauge. When it ran out of gas you could reach down on the firewall and flip the lever to fuel reserve. That merely lowered the fuel pick up to the bottom of the tank.
If you forgot to flip the lever back up when you filled the tank the next time you ran out there was no reserve! Then you can sit there and hah hah!

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
Run it low, drain the gas, and see how much comes out. If it's a lot, pull the sender/pickup and see if it's OK.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good suggestion. Thank you very much. Thanks to all you guys with feedback.

edit: oh, and I've never owned an old beetle, but my brother loves those things, and has owned many of them. He also loves those old 60s and early 70s Broncos and has owned a bunch of them. Those things ain't cheap anymore either.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Thinking

Just "thankin'" on the keyboard...
Because of the shape of the tank, and where the inlet is located, and if the rear of your car is sitting a little low, there could be a rather large air bubble trapped in the forward, top area. I would guess that it could be as much as 4 or 5 gallons in size. Without doing the calculus, I think it gets larger as the tail sags lower.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts