Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to think I bought a real bill of goods when I got this engine. Anyway, it has less than 100 miles on it since install in the car. For the last week valves have been making too much noise; sometimes WAY too much. Drove it tonight and it suddenly dawned on me that the oil pressure gauge was reading either below the safe zone, or just barely into it. When it was below, the noise was noticeably louder.

Obviously, something has happened to my oil pressure. Just after install, the oil pressure gauge rode 1/2 way up into the safe zone at idle, and nearly 3/4 up at speed. Something has happened. Oil pump failure comes to mind. (Noticed during install that the oil pump was a Hi-Volume type.) Any other ideas on where to look?

I'm thinking I should just pull it out and put my other 289 in to see what kind of shape it is in? Just more work, right? :p

·
Registered
846 Posts
oil pump rod that connects to distributor long enough? Possible spun a bearing? Oil pump quit or is blocked by debris? Pick up tube come off?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
To check to see if the oil pump is working...

Yank the dizzy and the valve covers, using a drill or something similiar -- spin the oil pump and check to see oil is coming up through the rockers.

Another possibility besides the oil pump going bad is that one of the galley plugs came out.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I have one....idea ::

Loss of oil to the top end because you popped a gallery plug. There are 3 in the front of the block, 3 in the back and one in the crossover in the rear under the intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Try changing just the oil filter. Had a car one time that the oil pressure just quit working. Checked out eveything else and then just changed the oil filter and pressure came back up fine. Horsehead.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If one of the external gallery plugs had popped, wouldn't I have oil all over the place? ....unless it's the one under the intake manifold.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Broken Fuel Pump... Pull the oil drain plug and if it comes out smelling like gas, the the fuel pump broke..

Happened once to me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts