Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a feeling I just did a dofus. I just did an intake manifold change in my cleveland. I changed my stock 2 bll intake for a performer with holley. I finally got to start it tonight an d after it ran VERY nice I turned it off and checked the oil and it was white and milkshakey. And I could hear like water running in the oil pan. I guess that is coolant in the oil right?? What could I have done wrong? I used a new gasket with a valley pan. I put RTV sealer where the dierections told me to, but I could have screwed that up easily. The valley pan was a b*tch because to put it over the intake ports you had to put the manifold on it. Therefore you couldnt see if it lined up with ports perfectly . My question. How could coolant have gotten in my oil. Are there water passages that could leak into the oil? Please tell me what I did wrong. Now I got to spend another 26 dollars for a stupid gasket. I got a feeling im not the only one who has screwed this up. Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it performer.

I took may radiator hose off to replace during the swap and I could have got coolant in the block but I dont think so. Could it be that the water passages where not sealed enough? I torqued down the bolts to 26 lb's. Going 10-20-25-26. Is that enough torque?? Im stumped and I want to avoid spending 26 bucks for another gasket. Thats 4 1/2 hours of hard labor for me.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
The cleveland runs a dry intake. There is no water running though it. If you are getting water in your oil its coming from somewhere else.

If you pulled the upper hose, perhaps you didn''t tighten it all the way down and it is leaking coolant onto the top of the block and it is seeping under the valley seal, or in through the distributor.

Of course it could be gas in your oil. Does it smell?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Which part #? One is for 2V heads the other is for 4V.

I don't know that much about Cleve's, but IIRC the intakes don't have water passages like the W does.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well I hope you didn't do what my 1st engine rebuilder did. He didn't tighten down the intake more than one time around the bolt sequence. Drum roll please. BRBREBRBRBR. The doofus . it leaked water into the #8 cylinder and it blew a hole in the cylinder wall. Trashed all the hard work in 30 seconds. . needless to say I was pissed. it was a total waste of time and $$$$$$$. But the good news is I did wind up with an ass kickin motor albeit from another source and I learned a valuable lesson - If A guy doesnt work on cars for a living 365 day a yr. keep on driving .

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
could it be from the timing cover (on 289, the WP mounts to the TC), if the thing isn't right, water could run directly into the pan

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I think I might have a theory, this just happened to me on my 5.0 build, its a windsor but its kind of a general "doofus". I was switching manifolds at the same time and I used the gasket set that came witht he engine rebuild for 289/302 standard right? Well after realizing water was in the oil we watched the manifold closely and found it seeping water out the corners where it connects to the head probably into the head too. We pulled the manifld and found the problem. Apparently the manifold we were using had smaller water passage valleys/ports than the gasket we used and there was all this space between the gasket and the port and it was going going in through the heads. Luckily I found a set of Felpro gaskets for some weird high performance heads that had smaller water passage holes and they fit perfect. One thing I can tell you is keep checking that oil drain plug cause the water will leak down to the bottom and it's easy to tell when you fix it, also check on the dipstick. You do NOT want coolant getting in your engine, in my case it was only water(water first test) and after diagnosing or problem I was assured the remaining water would evaporate via the heat but coolant is another story, you don't want that getting on the crank and pistons and whatnot. Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies guys. I found out it was gas and not water leak..

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Well when installing a valley plate one needs to bead both sodes of the ports to get a good seal otherwise you can dilute the oil and cause an engine siezure....

regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts