Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new edelbrock intake on my 289 and didn't put the thermostat back in, nor did I reconnect my temperature sensor. Yeah i'm a genious!

Anyway I took the stang to town to get some parts to fix what I decribed in the above sentance. And when I got home the car died on me and steam spewed all over the place.

Since then it has been smoking really bad out the passenger side exhaust, and I have been adding alot of oil. Other than that it runs ok. But I was wondering what could have happened when it overheated?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
When does it smoke?
  1. All the time
  2. When you get back on the gas after idling or decelerating for a while
If it's option number one all bets are off.
If it's option number two you are looking at valve seals.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It smokes all the time when I have it above 2500rpm.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would bet you damaged a piston and rings in one cylinder or maybe two. Run a compression test and see what you come up with. Add a few squirts of oil and rerun any cylinders that are low and see if they come up.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
You may have a bad intake gasket. What could be going on is that when you build alot of vacuum you could be sucking oil out of the valley and into one of the intake runners on the bank that is smoking. Pull the spark plugs on that bank and look to see if any are oil fouled. You could also be losing coolant making car run hot. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I forgot to tell you if you want to check intake gasket for leaks you can take the carb off and install a plate with an air fitting on it. Make sure you use a gasket between plate and intake. Pull all the intake pushrods and put low airpressure (about 15-20 pounds) into the fitting on the plate. Pull your oil cap and listen to see if you can hear air come from the valve cover.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I think a better question to ask is why, with no thermostat installed, that your car overheated so violently. I'm assuming you filled the coolant spaces completely prior to driving the car.

The answer to that question, once discovered, will likely lead you to the reason for your smoking problem.

Or, perhaps, the two are unrelated.

Lastly, did you have any problems before the manifold installation?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Is it smoke or is it water vapor. I over heated my 170 I6 and it smoked. But mine was really bad blowby.I had to replace the rings. Are you loosing any water from the radiator or does the smoke smell? First I would try to determine if its steam (vapor) or smoke.I would do a compression check on each cylinder, if that is good I would probably start taking things apart. May be intake gasket (if your are losing water) water sucked into intake runner. Any water in the oil? Just a couple more things to try/check.

I drove my car for a year before I put in the new rings. But it wasn't a daily driver. I new I needed to fix it when a trailer truck stopped in an intersection to tell me my car was on fire because it was smoking from under the hood.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sound like a blown intake gasket to me. The leaking intake gasket is sucking oil out of the crank case. How are you sure it over heated? Since you didn't have a guage installed?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I agree with camachinist...its somewhat odd that it overheated 'cause you left out the thermostat. Usually, it runs cooler, but another phenomenon is the thermostat acts to slow down the water thru the radiator thus making the raiator more effective. Without the thermostat, the car overheats.

Another scenario is that it was coincidence. A gasket failed when you installed the new manifold causing loss of coolant and overheating.

My wife did the same thing to the mustang in the '80s. She majorly overheated it! It looked like a steam locomotive. It got really fudged up! I tore it apart and found warped heads and scored cylinders. Re-decked the heads and honed the cylinders and reassembeled the engine with new bearings and rings. It was fine then.

Does your smoke dissipate or does it linger? If it dissipates, its coolant. If it lingers, its oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts