Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed some 1/4 panels on my 1968 Mustang fastback and I plug welded the front seam inside of the door jamb. I did grind the welds down some and they are somewhat visible, but I am not sure if that seam should look totally smooth or should you see some hint of plug weld being there?

Not sure if I am explaining this correctly but could a few of you guys post pics of your door jamb area 1/4 seam so I can get a idea of how it is supposed to look?

I would really appreciate it and thanks.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
It is a series of 12 barely visible spot welds, plus tack welds (may be brazing actually) at the corners.

Details are shown on page 63 of the 68 Weld and Sealant Assembly Manual. Note the tack welds are not shown in the manual, might be a running change or unique to San Jose.

WELD AND SEALANT MANUAL, 68 MUSTANG - #L-34E - National Parts Depot

This is my 68 San Jose car.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: BlackCobraKR

·
Registered
35 Posts
I installed some 1/4 panels on my 1968 Mustang fastback and I plug welded the front seam inside of the door jamb. I did grind the welds down some and they are somewhat visible, but I am not sure if that seam should look totally smooth or should you see some hint of plug weld being there?

Not sure if I am explaining this correctly but could a few of you guys post pics of your door jamb area 1/4 seam so I can get a idea of how it is supposed to look?

I would really appreciate it and thanks.
Here’s a couple of pics for you. Hopefully these will help.
I’ve being paint stripping my cars door shuts a sills today. Should have it ready for a colour change next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a series of 12 barely visible spot welds, plus tack welds (may be brazing actually) at the corners.

Details are shown on page 63 of the 68 Weld and Sealant Assembly Manual. Note the tack welds are not shown in the manual, might be a running change or unique to San Jose.

WELD AND SEALANT MANUAL, 68 MUSTANG - #L-34E - National Parts Depot

This is my 68 San Jose car.

View attachment 842340

View attachment 842341
Thanks for these pics. It gives me idea of how it should look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts