Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I ordered a Volante wheel kit with adapter. I read a few posts and installed it. As you can see from the picture, the gold backing on the adapter has worn off. I did read later that I should have put dialelectic grease on the horn contacts, which I didn't. Is that enough to tear up the portion? I also adjusted the column up by loosening the bolts under the dash and pulling it back towards myself. Could I have gone too far. I did this in an effort to get my turn signal to cancel properly as it never has since owning. BTW, it still didn't work. The wheel is just a 14" leather wrapped Gt350 style.

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
what do the contacts look like ? have the buttons worn off ? Also not sur Dieletric grease is ideal in that situation (probably didn't cause the wear)
Dielectric grease
Featured snippet from the web
Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.
Also using a relay to power the horns will take a large load off from that thin copper clad circuit board on the steering wheel

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the horn contacts are in good shape. I'll have to look into the relay.
The wiring for the horn was a kinda crappily done, so they are sending me a new adapter. Just don't want to tear up the copper on this one. Just can't figure out why it did that.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
I think the horn contacts are in good shape. I'll have to look into the relay.
The wiring for the horn was a kinda crappily done, so they are sending me a new adapter. Just don't want to tear up the copper on this one. Just can't figure out why it did that. View attachment 748051
less tension on the bushes . with a drop of ATF IV on the contacts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts