Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this board so please help me out! I just bought a 64 and 1/2 Mustang this evening to start restoring. It has not moved since 93 and the old guy gave it away to me for $500. Where do I start? Can someone give me a few sites that sell classic parts? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Well, let's see....

First of all, Hello, and welcome! Please fill out your bio, so we know where you are, what your car has, etc.

Next, describe your car's condition in detail... is it running? Is it all together, how much obvious rust (we'll get into looking for rust later) body style, engine, and what do you want it to be when it is finished-driver, show car, restomod, tricked-out rice-stang? Knowing where you want to go will help guide you through your progress.

$500 is a good price, could be a steal if the car is unmolested, and complete with minor rust. Calm down, take a step back and think about where you want to be in 3 mos, 6 mos, a year, 2 years. Some of us have spent more than 3 years and $$$$ getting their cars where they want them to be. Patience is a must(ang).

As for parts, I always recommend Ponderosa Mustang, any vendor who supports this forum (YAY) NPD, Mustangs Unlimited, Alamo Classic Mustang, Maryland Mustang, in that order. Check out Tom Schmidt's links for all kinds of sources.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The first thing for me would be to get it running to check out the drivetrain. The next thing I would do is do a full check for rust. If you can get it up on a lift and do a complete inspection of the floor pans and frame rails you will get an idea of what must be done during the restoration. This can range from light to none, to extensive replacement of large componants. You want to know where your car is in that range.

Since I sell parts, I can't recomend any other parts houses.......... *G*. There are many reputabe companies out there that sell mustang parts though.

Welcome to the VMF! You certainly found the right place to come for answers to any questions on your vintage Mustang, also a great group of people.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I responded to the first one. Sorry. Please check it out.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Welcome to a great site for help1
First you should really decide what you want from the Stang...Daily driver, weekender or full resto'. All this could be decided by How much your budget Is.
Once you decided what you what out of this project we can help you in the right direction. I'm sure if you go to a parts place they will ask the same thing! So make a decision now and go for it! We'll all be here to help!

Parts places:
ponderosa - Scott drake
NPD - California mustangs

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Congratulations on your aquisition. I can't believe that price. Day-yam.

You don't mention the condition of the car, so it'll be pretty hard to give you a good answer.

Does the car run? Is the body in good shape? What are your plans for the car? Daily driver, weekend driver or show queen?

Give us details and we will be more than happy to help you out.

OBTW: Welcome to the madness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts