I just replaced my tank and fuel lines and I went to start my car up, no power. No surprise, it has been sitting for a few weeks. I figured I would just replace the battery since the one in there was pretty old anyway. So, I hook up the negative terminal on the new battery and as soon as I touch the positive terminal with the connector, disaster strikes. Lots of smoke comes from the connecting wires(The ones that connect the battery). Dam! So I take out that battery, put in the old one and try to jump it. As soon as I hook ground the last jumper cable to the engine block more smoke comes from the wires and the jumper cable clamp connected to the engine block turns red hot. Also I think I saw a few sparks from the alternator. I let it cool down and try to jump it again and nothing happens whatsoever. So, I figure I have just fried the hell out of something, but I don't know what. Also, I'm not sure the old battery was actually dead. When I hook up the cables to it and touch the other two ends together, sparks fly. Any ideas what I have just ruined and how it can be fixed? I know nothing about electrical stuff.