Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Mustang sports roof
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this today, snapped it right up, not sure what it is, anybody have any insight? Pretty sure 69, but dont know anything else.
20200416_175251.jpg
20200416_175257.jpg
20200416_175311.jpg
20200416_175326.jpg

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Appears to be a 69-70 Mustang shaker hood scoop for Boss CJ SCJ or Mach I- may also have been used on a Torino. Great score!

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
The old timer was off by a year. The Mach 1 and the Shaker both made their appearance with the '69 model.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Nice find!!... not that I'm jealous or anything... something I've been thinking about for a very long time. Biggest fear is cutting the hole in the hood, but if I had the shaker, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: RestoMike66

·
Registered
1970 Mustang sports roof
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, great score! What do you plan to do with it?? Hopefully install it on your car!
Thanks, I do plan to put on my car, trying to come up with a plan. Need to come up with a base to fit 302 with sniper efi, what to do with hood...has holes for turn signals and 2 sets of holes for smaller scoop, and larger cougar scoop.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Torino shaker has more angled in the front...

I would get another hood with the hole cut out for the shaker and save your original hood if it is a factory hood..The whole shaker set up is all repoped..NPD can help you out..

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
That's a big $$$ score.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Spiffy! You can buy a reproduction metal 428 shaker base, but they are very pricey. And I don't think it would work for a 302. Each shaker base was specific for the engine on which it mounted. The only 302 that was available with a shaker was the 1970 Boss 302. I'm not aware of anyone reproducing that. An original Boss 302 shaker base, if you could find one, is going to break the proverbial bank.

The other reproduction shakers have a fiberglass base. You might be able to use one of those. Unfortunately, you'd probably have to order one to see if you could make it fit.

Or, you could sell that factory CJ shaker top for a lot of cash and buy a complete reproduction shaker setup with the fiberglass base.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1970 Mustang sports roof
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spiffy! You can buy a reproduction metal 428 shaker base, but they are very pricey. And I don't think it would work for a 302. Each shaker base was specific for the engine on which it mounted. The only 302 that was available with a shaker was the 1970 Boss 302. I'm not aware of anyone reproducing that. An original Boss 302 shaker base, if you could find one, is going to break the proverbial bank.

The other reproduction shakers have a fiberglass base. You might be able to use one of those. Unfortunately, you'd probably have to order one to see if you could make it fit.

Or, you could sell that factory CJ shaker top for a lot of cash and buy a complete reproduction shaker setup with the fiberglass base.

Have fun!
Do you think it's enough to break even for a whole reproduction setup?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts